Misc: Everything Else Cleaning upper frame member

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That is why I prefer the inspection/'cleaning hole. However,i f one is prepared to put the UFM into a concrete mixer for hours with it filled with, let us say, galvanised felt tacks and solvent, then it is possible it will be clean. However, I would not trust it without using and internal fibre optic inspection device and these are now much cheaper and more available.

marcmm1890

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Conway manhole...I've done 2. Once the hole is cut, it's easy to clean out the sludge. Remove the filter and plug the hole. Braze the threaded insert, clean again, screw in the cover and you're done.

Attachments

• 2021-03-08 (27).png
    2021-03-08 (27).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

Black Flash

VOC Member
Just soldered the manhole cover into my last ufm.
I did the cement mixer routine with paraffin, diesel, nuts and bolts etc AFTER fitting the manhole cover. As you can see in the picture there are still a lot of metal particles on the floor bedded into some gue oil residue.
From my point of view, if you want to change to a modern oil like motul 7200 or such like, you have to fit some kind of manhole cover to clean the oil tank. otherwise you risk to get all this old crud back into circulation again.

I will clean it out tomorrow with steam /water jet at the local car wash as I did with my other ufm. Then it will be super clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_120124_compress5.jpg
    IMG_20210420_120124_compress5.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 40

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I had my UFM in a hot degreaser at an auto machine shop and that didn't get it super clean. The hot tank at the helicopter transmission factory I worked at in the '60's removed cosmoline, so it would have been good, I'm sure.

timetraveller

VOC Member
That is why I suggestg fitting the manholes. I remember the details of three I have done. The ex-Cecil Mills bike was really dirty and no amount of soaking with petrol, gunk or jizer etc would shift the dirt. One could not even see clearly just how dirty it was until there was a hole in the top. Once I could get into it I used a pressure washer and lots of patience. In total contrast my own production class sprint machine was totally clean. I have no idea of the history of that oil tank. The third one was rather like the first discussed here. Impossible to get properly clean without the top access. One other place that surprised me was the oil ways in the timing cover. It took many goes of squirting petrol throught those tunnels before it came out clean.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes, Post 14 looks a bit too far forward to me ?,
Also for strength I would not cut into the sides,
I would keep away from the edges, Just my thoughts.

Attachments

• 1612993162039.png
    1612993162039.png
    209 KB · Views: 25
Last edited: