Cleaning the Engine

Shadowman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone have any clever ideas how to clean the burnt on oil stains and dribbled Wellseal stains from the fins and other difficult to get at parts of the engine. I've tried 'engine cleaner' from the local car accessories shop. I did improve the engine but wouldn't touch the tougher stains.
Attached is a picture before I started cleaning.
Thanks
Peter Sprot

Attachments

• DSC04844.jpg
    DSC04844.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 86

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Have a trawl through the Forum using the search facility...

Hi Peter,

I've read a few threads talking about cleaning the cylinders over the last year or so - try using the search function and see what you come up with. One of them used "Cillit Bang" BUT you must cover and protect all polished alloy or you'll damage it. Best of luck. I'll see if I can find you a thread to look at.

Stuart

Does anyone have any clever ideas how to clean the burnt on oil stains and dribbled Wellseal stains from the fins and other difficult to get at parts of the engine. I've tried 'engine cleaner' from the local car accessories shop. I did improve the engine but wouldn't touch the tougher stains.
Attached is a picture before I started cleaning.
Thanks
Peter Sprot

Last edited:

alscomet

VOC Member
alubright

I am just looking for the same product to clean off the oil and burnt exhaust
crud its from http://www.raceglaze.co.uk/metal-cleaning.html its Alubright
I am going to order some today£9.99. Bang and its gone!!!

Cant stand Barry Cillit or that Calgon Tablet advert what happens to the water inlet valve?

alan spence

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Please remember to read the thread.....

All,

If you are going to use alubright please remember to read the thread link I posted here last night - it talks about how to protect your bright metal parts. I once used alubright on a set of alloy car wheels (painted finish) and destroyed them - bad experience. Take care with this stuff - it is very powerful indeed and you will not want to get it on bright polished parts or on paintwork I would imagine. I would imagine that it's base is acid.

Regards

Stuart

The bypass hole to shut the valve blocks and it either leaks or doesn't shut.

clevtrev

VOC Member
All,

If you are going to use alubright please remember to read the thread link I posted here last night - it talks about how to protect your bright metal parts. I once used alubright on a set of alloy car wheels (painted finish) and destroyed them - bad experience. Take care with this stuff - it is very powerful indeed and you will not want to get it on bright polished parts or on paintwork I would imagine. I would imagine that it's base is acid.

Regards

Stuart
ALL cleaners are either acid, caustic or abrasive.