Classic bike values

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Went on to horses (following her Mother) for the adrenaline rush but now she says when her children get a little older she will go get her m/c licence
Both of my daughters went into horses. The one with zero interest in motorcycles went into the highly controlled dressage, while the younger one went into the adrenaline-generating hunter-jumper and cross-country. She had been thrown and knocked out in competition, got her mc license soon after it was possible, and then learned to ride on a Ducati 900. I thought this was going to be a big issue with my wife, but she said that she wished it had happened sooner because not only are motorcycles less expensive than horses, they're less dangerous.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I always tell the horsey crowd when they start going on about horse accidents that they need to take up a safe sport - like racing motorcycles.
At 16 the daughter was BC provincial Dressage champion, and was eventing. later on got kicked in the warm up ring, rode the cross country course, went past me with tears streaming down her face, and I gave her a bad time about her jumping style. Dragged her off the horse, having gone clear and iced the sore ankle. When home several hours later took her to emergency for x rays, now late in the evening, and as we walk down the hallway the doc holds the x rays up to the fluorescent ceiling light and says, wow, that is a very unusual break! Went on to A pony Club. Ended up with a Dressage schoolmaster and still loves the horses to this day!

But enough of this, the bikes are worth what you value them at, whether pleasure or financial, and to each his own!

stu spalding

VOC Member
My father, on hearing of my broken leg (1987), said "Bloody dangerous things, motorbikes" I asked him if he had any broken bones to which he replied that he'd broken a collarbone falling off a horse. I said "Bloody dangerous things, horses" He was not amused. Cheers, Stu.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Much as I love my Vincents, Which I got when they were cheap, They are not that good, Lots of faults,
Mind you it was still hard for me to get the money together at the time.
These prices have got out of hand, So they need to come down, Or they will only be owned by investers.
If I sold mine, I don't think I would or could ask these stupid prices.

erik

VOC Member
windy corner treffen 001.JPG

Attachments

• windy corner treffen 003.JPG
    windy corner treffen 003.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 33

erik

VOC Member
My son and me on the windy Corner Meeting near Bonn this year .first time he went with the comet.First time with right Hand gearlever and lefthand footbrake.No Problem.Erik

Jorgen Rutegard

VOC Member
I own and ride a Vincent because I like the machine, and still more, I like riding it. The value is secondary, but not unimportant. It urges me to look after the bike, keep it roadworthy, and keep an eye upon it when being out and about.

erik

VOC Member
Jorgen I can follow you 100%. It is a good Thing if the next Generation has a Little bit interest on the Vincent motorcycles.The high value makes it easier to decide buying expensive spareparts.This is a big difference to my Yamaha sr500 which costs a Little bit more than my black shadow speedometer.

John Oakes

Non-VOC Member
Firstly Magnetoman. Greetings. I imported a Black Shadow into Australia two years ago. I will not confirm or deny there was a substantial amount of asbestos in the AM4 brake linings. The bike sailed through customs.
Sakura. Yes and no. I think quality will always win out as investments and for long term owner/collectors. Grey porridge has merely benefitted from the trickle down effect. I always rebut the issue of young people vs old bikes by looking at the prices of veteran and vintage vehicles; they are on the up. Not sure what is happening but any quality pre 1920s machinery seem to be doing just fine and the mid 20s to 30s stuff seem to be holding station. The availability of parts for Vincents is a major plus when selling compared to Douglas, Sunbeam and Raleigh. I have no idea what Brough owners can get. What also interests me is I know a few 30 and 40 somethings who rent but own significant machinery. Priorities are changing maybe.
I agree with the above. The prices of pre war bikes have been solid this year. Just look at the strong prices of cammy velo projects and spares at bonhams and brightwells. The ss100 brough that fetched £420k in March at the h and h auction in need of full restoration. Also there was the series A comet (non matching numbers) that fetched £100k at bonhams in April. Flat tank Norton’s, bullnose sunbeams, rudge Ulster’s, 1938/39 triumph twins all fetching strong money. Much of the brit 50’s to 70’s bikes even Vincent’s have stepped back in price ( particularly series d) only the Japanese sports and lightweight 2 strokes and bikes like rd 350’s fetch rising amounts even fs1 tiddlers are regularly going for over £5k now. So there’s never been a better time ( in the last 5 years at least )to buy a norton, Bsa or triumph twin which gives greater opportunity to enter and be part of the classic bike world. I am 41 and know of a growing number of my peers and younger getting into the classic scene ( including Brit bikes) but through different routes than picking up the old bike mart or joining the vmcc and going to stafford. They follow and feed their interest through instagrammers at the bikeshed, Seymour motorcycles or read the blogs of vintagent and venues like caffeine and machine. The interest is definitely out there and growing if you look in the right places.