Classic bike values

Sakura

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have it on good authority from a well known classic bike dealer friend that classic bike values have dropped between 20 and 30 percent this year. Large quantities of bikes coming up for sale, many from deceased owners. Mainly heavy 50s bikes, A7s, A10s, Meteors, Red Hunters etc. Has the bubble finally burst and how will/have Vincent's be affected? Collectors beware (although I doubt there will be many reading this)

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I think there are a number of factors to consider. Where you live in the world, condition of the machine, originality, can it be ridden any distance without puking oil everywhere, etc.

The prices in North America in the last year have flattened off on some machines, but others have fetched good prices. I believe context is a major factor. What is the buyer looking for and what is the seller looking for.

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
This might be a good thing. Perhaps I can ship my bike to the UK for another month of touring and not be worried when leaving it parked outside a restaurant, B&B etc.

Glen
I would not be that optimistic, just because your bikes value might have dropped by £10k I sure there are plenty of scum out there that would be very happy to steal it from you.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think 10% fall is an over estimate. Of course values can be talked down and then up again that's how some make their money. I am afraid it's only a tempory lull, one only has to see the current retail slump ,(what another black Friday!) All caused perhaps by the ' current difficulties'. Soon perhaps to be resolved (or not.)
It don't bother me yet, but then I bought most of mine in the sixties. Any reduction is a good thing

greg brillus

VOC Member
I think it is a global thing.........It is quite possible that it may go on for some time, many countries with zero interest rates, we here in Australia not far off that ourselves......... There can only be a very small percentage of investors interested in putting their money into valuable old bikes. After all, how many Black Shadows do they need..........The availability of spares is currently excellent, helped no doubt by enthusiasts of the marque, but again these folk are slowly thinning out. Finding skilled workman to carry out repairs is another problem. I think the general high cost of living and general lack of spare funds will impact even these bikes........It may be just a cycle we are going through, but the signs seem to be pointing otherwise.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
I think there's another factor. Most of us are getting up in years. That seems to be true for owners of vintage bikes of all sorts. By and large younger folks, if they have any interest in motorcycles at all are into the new stuff. So as we age out, a glut of bikes will inevitably wind up on the market. I think that process is already playing out. It will only increase.

Gary

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I think there's another factor. Most of us are getting up in years. That seems to be true for owners of vintage bikes of all sorts. By and large younger folks, if they have any interest in motorcycles at all are into the new stuff. So as we age out, a glut of bikes will inevitably wind up on the market. I think that process is already playing out. It will only increase.

Gary

I am not that old and tend to disagree. I have a number of friends who collect old bikes. If you are talking about the US and Vincents I tend to agree. I also agree there has been a glut on the market for sure here in North America over the last couple of years.

vibrac

VOC Member
I disagree too. Apart from the fact that the very young are being brainwashed green by the non technicals at an alarming rate, it was the 1980's when I bought my first 1920's bike which was after 20 years of riding so I guess riders need to be mid 30-40's before they appreciate Vincents but it won't happen at current silly prices.
I also don't buy the future environmental ban argument but that's because I have read about Carbon Engineering Ltd and I can see carbon neutral Vincents in 2050

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
Recent experience is that older (70+) riders are either selling up whilst bike prices are still relatively high, or trading down to smaller bikes. Remember my original post focused on heavy 50s bikes. My friends in their 50s have only a passing interest in British bikes, they want the Japanese bikes they lusted after in their teens. There is a definite lack of interest in motorcycles amongst young people anyway. Japanese manufacturers are seeing a downturn in sales, it's a changing world. Incidentally, it's not a 10 percent drop in values, this year it's between 20 to 30 percent