Classic Advertising

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You don't see advertising like this any more. Or do you?? From MotorCycling 1952

classic advert 001.jpg

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I think because it involes under age girls and dirty old men very none pc and those that do like that sort of thing now are in jail or on a register without a passport like mister gary glitter i hope

vibrac

VOC Member
I think because it involes under age girls and dirty old men very none pc and those that do like that sort of thing now are in jail or on a register without a passport like mister gary glitter i hope
Well I must be getting slow it looked innocent enough to me just a dad and his daughter
and the cartoon style is very fifties Rowland Emett?

G

Graham Smith

I saw the ad earlier on, and never for one minute did I think it had paedophilic connotations - I simply thought that @MartynG had posted it for information (which I'm sure he did).

If I did think there was anything else behind it, I would've removed it immediately.

Maybe we all over-think these things sometimes?

vibrac

VOC Member
I think it was J W Taylor or at least his cartoon style and is well worth looking up
Did a lot of work for Punch Magazine (another gem lost in the past)

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Very reminicent of Mr Nigel Molesworth -"Down with skool!" -Ronald Searle again, birthed many to follow Scarfe, Graham Clarke, Ken Townsend, et al... classic illustrations

LoneStar

VOC Member
I don't see it as off-color - but on the other hand, I don't get it. What are they looking at, and what does it have to do with BP petrol and pinking?

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I don't see it as off-color - but on the other hand, I don't get it. What are they looking at, and what does it have to do with BP petrol and pinking?
It is a play on the name BP. so BP fuel BP (ie Banishes Pinking).

that is how it seems to me

Martyn

vibrac

VOC Member
Martin if you followed the jokes in a 1950 paper you (or even I growing up in the 50;s) would not get half of them its a different world and must be even more unfathomable to the millennials with their head down in 4"X2" bit of plastic as their only source of transient information.
We may ride 1950 bikes but we dont really understand their makers.