Chrome

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am thinking of getting a twin kickstart crank rechromed, at present the splines are in, as far as I can tell, perfect condition. Before I entrust this valuable piece of metal to my local plating company, Wooburn Polishers and Platers, is there anything that I should know or do with regard to the splines. I am slightly nervous as I followed someones advice a few years ago and entrusted a side panel from my honda CB77 petrol tank to what was supposed to be the best plating company in the whole world! or something like that, anyway after waiting a long time to get the job done I went to collect my precious part from the platers, The London Chroming Company, only to be told that because the metal was old, 1964, the polisher had polished right through the metal on a corner and they had to repair it with braze, I think. PS. no those items were not heavily pitted if at all so no excuse there.
Cheers to all for Christmas Peter Holmes

vince998

VOC Member
I think not

Hi Peter,
I had mine chromed about 7 years ago by an old guy at a company in Bielefeld. I´ve never had a problem with the kickstarter since, and i´m pretty sure he didn´t cork the hole with the splines in up.
He chromed just about everything that needed chroming on the bike, even a used silencer for me (after insisting i go round the corner and burn the carbon out with a gas torch :D) It must of cost a fortune to clear the bath out afterwoods!!!
He spent a lot of time polishing, cleaning, copper plating and polishing again.Anything that was stamped or engraved retained its lettering, and everthing retained its detail (even small parts)
A real craftsman.
The only bit that came backed damaged was the centralising plate inside the headlight rim, so for the next one i removed it and all was good.
Just after he did my parts, he unfortunately (for me anyway) retired. The next lot of stuff i had done at the same company was a bag of poo.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
If you are looking for a decent chrome job, I can reccommend a firm in London, speak to Tregunna on 0207 262 5678. Cheap they aint. But good enough for classic bike of the year finalist'08.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
If you are looking for a decent chrome job, I can reccommend a firm in London, speak to Tregunna on 0207 262 5678. Cheap they aint. But good enough for classic bike of the year finalist'08.

Roy, Thanks for that info, I phoned them and they seem to be in transition, moving the chroming plant from the Edgware Road somewhere to Park Royal, They quoted me £50 as a one off part or £25 if included in a batch of parts. Now I am not a wealthy man and I have no desire to spend more money than I have too but that does seem ridiculously cheap, is it ? at that sort of money I am thinking of getting a few bits together and visiting them, but they suggested leaving it until the new year, which I will do. In any event thanks for your suggestion and I will keep you posted
Regards Peter Holmes

Last edited:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi Pete,
My feeling is take it to the platers, insist on staying with it for the whole process and take it home personally. When I lived in Swaffham I had a friend who knew a plater in Essex. He took all my parts for the Reddun to be plated. The plating was excellent and no pieces were lost. Unfortunately when he brought them back to Norfolk that night he collided with a deer on the A12 in Elvesden Forest. It wrote off his pick-up. My chromed rear stand still bears the scars.
Hugo

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Peter, £50,00 sounds cheap! Didn't know about the move! On the last couple of visits the manager fellow "looked like he needed to be taken to the doctors to see if there was a days work left in him!". Make a visit- see if they are still doing bumpers for Astons+ Rollers- these guys do not accept sh-rubbish! I would appreciate the feedback as I have a Vin project under way Regards Roy.