Chrome plated Vincent of destiny

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It resembles a chromed Touring guard to me. I hope the front brake levers were eventually adjusted correctly.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I hope the owner soon got a new Kick-Start spring and put the Girdraulic spindles in from the correct side. No, definately not "Big Ed".

daevideo

VOC Member
It is a shame that the man with the love of chrome did not plate the registration plate too. The late Keith Berry (sadly) cannot be faulted as this was the best way to show the beast. The photo was at a VMCC meeting taken in Newhall Street, home of the Birmingham Science Museum during the 70's. If anyone knows if these were documented it would be nice to see if the Combo was noted in any VMCC notes. Here is another link showing the images from that meeting:

http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/vintage_mcs

It seems the photo's describe an annual event called the Tour of Birmingham long since departed. The photo's seem to be from both the 1960's and 1970's. There is one photo of a Zündapp with a road fund disc of 1976, so the Vincent could be from 1975 or 1976. My Vincent seem to have a few Chrome bits, I wonder if this was a popular hobby, when did it start and when did it cease.

Last edited:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
It resembles a chromed Touring guard to me. I hope the front brake levers were eventually adjusted correctly.

I don't think so. Vin touring guards do not have rolled or wired ends to the blades. They are also recessed to accomodate the fork blades. At first sight it looks like a touring blade fitted the wrong way round but the valence at the rear is the wrong shape.