The Mighty Garage Chris's Egli

Mike T

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hope you like this little video about long-distance-rider Chris Kleps and his stunning Egli. If you have any additional information about his bike, I'm sure that Chris would really appreciate learning more about the history of his Egli. Cheers, Mike

vibrac

VOC Member
That Slater Egli is a lot like my first bike that Robinson 4 leading shoe front brake was an insult to engineering about as much good as a chocolate fire guard. After numerous close shaves it deposited me in the gravel trap at the end of the old Norwich straight at Snetterton. I gave it to Ron Kemp to improve (I dont think he ever succeeded) I think i fitted an old gold star drum which was a noticeable improvement!
Here is the only photo I have with that 'front 'appendage' on it
1604568488582.png

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think twin leading shoe brakes had a reputation for being potentially a bit snatchy, I guess 4 leading shoes just exacerbates the problem.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
At the other end of the spectrum, my single leader BSA front brake wasn't at all snatchy.
The bike would glide along beautifully with the brake full on!

Back to the Egli. A clubmember owns an Egli project which is said to be a Slater " kit"
The kit has never been assembled. The wheels supplied are from a Laverda. They weigh a ton, I think they could be heavier than Vincent wheels. The forks with that kit are also quite heavy.
Headstock angle as I measured it was just 22degrees. This was a strange find given that Terry Prince told me " Fritz and I chose 27 degrees as the headstock angle, same as a Norton Manx, a bike known for great handling"
I traced the complete shape of the 22 degree frame on plywood, but ended up using my own set of dimensions as
that frame just did not seem right. Its never been assembled but my calculations the front wheel would possibly hit on the magneto/magneto replacement.
It seems that there were quite a few different versions of the Slater Eglis and a number of frame builders, some very good ( Cheney) and some not so good.

Glen

Last edited:

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
I think twin leading shoe brakes had a reputation for being potentially a bit snatchy, I guess 4 leading shoes just exacerbates the problem.
I found a norton 4ls front drum brake on a Norvin very progressive and not at all grabbing. Good for around two late braking heavy stops (classic racing) then ....... less good.
Would have made an excellent road brake though.