Chopped Motor Removal Norvin

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The right side would be easier as there is basically nothing on the left of the motor assuming you have the original primary inner removed., whereas the right of the motor has the timing chest protruding forwards.

brian gains

VOC Member
so wanting to save a half hour of spanner work i thought the box could be left in the frame but would need the RHS mounting plate to support it and the plate would obstruct removal of the motor on the RHS.
This is not so?.
Support gearbox with just LHS plate?.
You have to remove gearbox as well?.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I can't comment as the way yours is mounted is probably totally different to mine, and I haven't taken mine out since it was installed 20 years ago, plus I would need to spend a couple of hours to get to mine at present to have a look and then it would only be a guess.
I think I put the engine in first, then the gear box and its plates, then the plates from the crankcases to the gearbox plates.
Chris Launders bikes 076.jpg
Chris Launders bikes 069.jpg

Last edited:

brian gains

VOC Member
Thanks Chris, I think I was expecting a little too much as to there being a straight forward method.
I was cross pollinating my experience with pre unit Triumph assembly with that of a separate gearbox / motor unit as used on custom built Norvin's and expecting the answer to suit my chopped motor in a BSA frame; no room for variations there then:rolleyes:.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Well Triumph/BSA/Nortons all have a similar crankcase width so it's an easy thing to have plates which encompass the gearbox and pick up the engine as well, the Vincent crankcases are much wider hence my compound plates.

roger v

VOC Member
Well Chris , just starting out on a Norvin project and your drive side photo is quite an inspiration should I locate a chopped set of cases . Assume an alternator sits behind the outrigger support bracket , so in that case no engine shock absorber , use the Norton clutch feature in lieu of . Is there any room to shrink / screw a starter ring on to the back of the clutch and then use a Harley starter motor to effect electric starting . Norton owners have used this arrangement to good effect , I suppose its a question of the available room

highbury731

VOC Member
There was an article in 'Roadholder' No. 402 June 2021 about fitting such an electric starter to a Norton twin. The author had previously converted his Commando, and in the article did a 99 (featherbed 600).
If you want a scan or photo of the article, let me know.
Paul Standeven