ET: Engine (Twin) Chopped engine, reunited with original gearbox.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
After the first bit, I was going to stop watching !,
Glad I didn't !!,
A few things I didn't like, But who am I to judge.

A Must watch for anybody who wants to turn a Comet Into a Twin !!!!,
Only Joking, Honest.

Last edited:

A_HRD

VOC Member
Further to the Bob Dunn weld job, I remember seeing it partially welded in his workshop around 2008. Later, in 2012 - on another visit - I saw the engine in the process of re-assembly and snapped a quick photo. Why it had a layer of what looks like sealant sealant covering the weld I can only guess...(?).

Either way, it was a remarkable feat of endurance on Bob's part.

Peter B

Attachments

• P1020535.JPG
    P1020535.JPG
    458.2 KB · Views: 66

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I wonder if it's still being ridden ?,
Big Job .

Before Bob did Alloy welding, I took my cases to Dave Lindsey, They worked together,
And Dave took me to His friend for the Alloy welding on my gearbox,
Great Gobs of Weld, Always worried about a bit coming off and going into the gears !!,
But that was over 40 years ago, So I think I should start worrying about something else !.

clevtrev

VOC Member
I have no direct experience but have heard good things about using the new generation of handheld laser welders which seem to allow even novice fabricators produce high quality joins . The advantage for Aluminium is supposedly a clean and fast weld with a very small and limited heat affected zone and depending on the head used a wide "wobble"bead can be produced . A1500 Watt machine is ( I am told) capable of producing a weld depth of up to 10mm in aluminium. Maybe a local search to see who has appropriate equipment and experience would be worthwhile but I understand the reluctance to commit as you will only get one chance and it must be right first time.
I use a laser firm close to me, you also need a deep pocket. With the machines costing upwards of £100,000.00 the need to recoup that outlay has to be factored in. The CNC rotary fullt automatic, cast £500,000.00.