ET: Engine (Twin) Chopped engine, reunited with original gearbox.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well this is a very scary topic.........has anyone done it, with any success. Or is the grief of trying to do it way over the top. The welding, massive distortion, not to mention the large chunks that are missing, cut off and thrown in the bin.........Does it remind you of when the Titanic broke up at the surface, basically split in two with large chunks spread out over the ocean floor........I am asking in all seriousness.......... Any comments or pictures of said repair would be great to see. Cheers............ Greg.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I know Bob Dunn has achieved it in the past in UK but I don't know what problems occured along the way. There is also a Shadow in Australia which has had the gearbox reattached, but again I don't know if there was any major problems.

Simon

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I suppose it depends on how much is missing, if you could repair one so it's a good match to the other before joining I would think its feasible, joining and then filling in the missing sections would give too much distortion I think, the good thing is they are primary chain drive and not gears so you have some leeway.
Try calling Allen Millyard, see how he joins engine cases.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I made meself a tick dead flat steel plate 30mm.
Bolt up all mating bolts with M6.(sorry marcus 1/4) so it gives a bit as steel/alu diff expansion
Than when welding to be done. Heat it up.to 250 or so.
Weld
And slowly cool down.
Nice thing is one can determine position really good.
But remachining is def. Necessary.

But going the efford is not my decision. But yours.
Not done by me yet
2020-05-26 20.43.03.jpg

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Well this is a very scary topic.........has anyone done it, with any success. Or is the grief of trying to do it way over the top. The welding, massive distortion, not to mention the large chunks that are missing, cut off and thrown in the bin.........Does it remind you of when the Titanic broke up at the surface, basically split in two with large chunks spread out over the ocean floor........I am asking in all seriousness.......... Any comments or pictures of said repair would be great to see. Cheers............ Greg.
I have a set of castings un machined intended especially for this job. I acquired them with the intention of welding them back onto my chopped cases, but have since decided to weld on an HD Sportster gearbox and primary more or less the way Chriss Knibbs did. If you want these castings tell me and we could make a deal.

vibrac

VOC Member
What you really need is G200/1 but everyone is out of stock at the moment;) once those old featherbeds rust away the demand will return:D. Here is the only one I have seen
1590588098390.jpeg
:p