Choke

Tommy Shields

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello. When my twin has warmed up to running temperature it is possible to open and close the choke on the front cylinder and it appears to make no difference to the running of the engine. When the choke is closed on the rear cylinder the engine speeds up and sounds a little rougher. Does my front carburettor require adjustment?

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Did you see the choke slide in the down position? Perhaps the Bowden cable needs freeing up. I ran several hundred miles with front choke fully on, at the end then found petrol tap filters clogged whilst doing Route 66, one day doing about 50 miles of nice windy hill roads out of Oakman (Arizona) going beautifully then on to interstate and sustained high speed and missing as front cylinder going week, luckily no damage.Slung into back up truck so didn't ruin Harvey's schedual and meeting with the Southern California section & Jay Leno in the Big Dog Garage.What a finishing bonanza to a fantastic adventure trip.
I've found chokes always make a difference, when working!
bananaman

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
Did you see the choke slide in the down position? Perhaps the Bowden cable needs freeing up. I ran several hundred miles with front choke fully on, at the end then found petrol tap filters clogged whilst doing Route 66, one day doing about 50 miles of nice windy hill roads out of Oakman (Arizona) going beautifully then on to interstate and sustained high speed and missing as front cylinder going week, luckily no damage.Slung into back up truck so didn't ruin Harvey's schedual and meeting with the Southern California section & Jay Leno in the Big Dog Garage.What a finishing bonanza to a fantastic adventure trip.
I've found chokes always make a difference, when working!
bananaman
I can see both chokes sliding up and down as they should. Thanks

hrdsuper90

VOC Member
Tommy - maybe the devil is in the detail ? I found the chokes don't really work unless the choke slide is firmly touching at the bottom of the carb. They work off the main jet, so unless your test first mentioned is above about 1/3 throttle (when main jets begin to have an effect) then having chokes closed has only a little effect. Hope that helps, Chris

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
Hi Chris. You're right, sometimes it's the wee things. I'll check that the slide is touching the carb at the bottom.
Thanks
Tommy