Chinese inner tubes

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I try not to buy anything from China if I can help it. The fact will deal at all with that communist mess is beyond me. I may have to go back and drive a pre sixties Chevy to get China free but it will be worth it. Any time the word cheap comes up, it will have a made in China sticker on it. Now Jaguar wants to build in China. Don't they have enough problems.?????

Shanghai

VOC Member
I am an Australian (based in Hong Kong) and working for a large multii national company. We have production facilities all around the world including mainland China.
For the same company I have also been previously based in mainland China for many years.
As a global supplier and with global production facilities we need to ensure that our quality standards are the same everywhere (including China), otherwise we would not be able to maintain our reputation, (as the products that we produce can end up being used anywhere in the world).
Therefore I find some of the statements in this thread very mis-leading.
It is also worthwhile noting that Ford, GM, VW, Audi, Mercedes, to name just a few have manufactured in China for many years.
So dont write off "Made in China" with out giving it some careful thought.
Of course there will alays be exceptions (even in Europe and NAFTA) and some of the "local" Chinese manufacturers may need to be excluded. Just be smart when spending your money.

Last edited:

Bracker1

VOC Member
"made in China" still means crap. Ford and others merely out to profit more. Greed is universal. Chinese factories are environmental disasters. Correct me if I am wrong, the Yangtze river is a chemical/toxic waste area beyond repair. The human rights violations are well documented as well as the child labor problem. In fact, most of California's air pollution in the future will be from your Chinese factories. My fingers burn as I type on a Chinese made MACBOOK. I understand that it is unavoidable not to use a Chinese product, but predictably they are throwaway items. Until China becomes a democracy, there should be a no trade policy.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
I am an Australian (based in Hong Kong) and working for a large multii national company. We have production facilities all around the world including mainland China.
For the same company I have also been previously based in mainland China for many years.
As a global supplier and with global production facilities we need to ensure that our quality standards are the same everywhere (including China), otherwise we would not be able to maintain our reputation, (as the products that we produce can end up being used anywhere in the world).
Therefore I find some of the statements in this thread very mis-leading.
It is also worthwhile noting that Ford, GM, VW, Audi, Mercedes, to name just a few have manufactured in China for many years.
So dont write "Made in China" with out giving it some careful thought.
Of course there will alays be exceptions (even in Europe and NAFTA) and some of the "local" Chinese manufacturers may need to be excluded. Just be smart when spending your money.

With all due respect. I find the quality of modern mechanical (especially Chinese) stuff as pure throw away crap! I'll put my 1943 Logan Model 211 Lathe up against anything China has to offer as far as accuracy. I'd even put the seven American Made Studebakers I've owned up against any of the modern cars I've owned with Chinese parts too. Maybe, you are simply too young to remember that things were once made to last a lifetime, ie. My 1947 Milwaukee Engineering Rototiller I still use every year.
I miss quality, lifetime, engineering, John

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I worked for three weeks in Wu Hu which is about three hours west of Shanghai. Never again! I could look out my window on the 26th floor and see the brown haze across the sky line. Foreigners are not allowed to drive in China unless the have been there 5 years, after watching those folks drive I 'm glad I didn't attempt it. Areas I saw outside of the hotel district and factory district were terrible! I have no desire to return.
Steven

IrvingFan

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Kevin Old Mate,

Many years ago when I was racing solos, we always ran the stem nut up to the top and used it to lock on the valve cap. As has been previously explained you could see if the stem moved and it helped stop a quick failure if it did move. On a side note the ACU also demanded the use of metal valve caps with O rings, as centrfugal force had been known to release weak springs in the schrader valve and cause air leakage at high speeds.
You will notice whenever you look at my Rapide that I still continue the practice to this day.

Kind regards,
Damian

Bracker1

VOC Member
That is a good point. I only went to one track day, but you were not allowed on course without the cap secured. I am wondering at the Intrernational Rally in Pa, if Mr. Farrow had a cap on his front tire when he had is spill on the highway. I believe he had an unexpected deflate of blowout at high speed. Happy New Year and safe travels