Chinese inner tubes

Kevin Fowler

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Is there any advise with respect to using chinese inner tubes, apart from the obvious. I have just blown my second tube, This was installed after a blow out on the Hay Plains going to the SA Rally. Rear wheel tyre. All of the security clamps were in place, The tube was secured to the rim at the stem, maybe this should be kept loose. Are there other manufacturers still on the market?:confused:
Kevin Fowler

D

Deleted member 1085

Is there any advise with respect to using chinese inner tubes, apart from the obvious. I have just blown my second tube, This was installed after a blow out on the Hay Plains going to the SA Rally. Rear wheel tyre. All of the security clamps were in place, The tube was secured to the rim at the stem, maybe this should be kept loose. Are there other manufacturers still on the market?:confused:
Kevin Fowler
Are the inside of the rims rusty or rough? Never have understood the reason to keep the valve stem nut tight up against the rim. It will not stop the tube from creeping. Far better to have it just loose and then if the valve tube creeps, it can be seen as the valve moves off square. If the valve stem nuts are not tight, it is an MOT "failure" in the UK as I understand it.
Also watch for threaded valve stems with flats on the sides. Not too good when using air lines.
Keith

Jim Richardson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am not too sure what are in the bikes at present, but I normally get Michelin, however I do have a spare Continental, that I won in a raffle, tat was donated by Vinparts.
On anotherforum, I am sure people have advocated off road spec tubes as they are thicker.

Bracker1

VOC Member
China can't even make dog food. What makes you think they can make a tire tube?? Buy something made from the USA or Europe. The risk of a front tire blow out, doesn't warrant the use of inferior Chinese made garbage. Can't wait to fly in the new Chinese Jets. Probably made of recycled paper mache.

D

Deleted member 1085

China can't even make dog food. What makes you think they can make a tire tube?? Buy something made from the USA or Europe. The risk of a front tire blow out, doesn't warrant the use of inferior Chinese made garbage. Can't wait to fly in the new Chinese Jets. Probably made of recycled paper mache.
I would not like to comment on what the Chinese put in to their meals but as with most things, you get what you pay for no matter what country it comes from.
Keith

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi, I thought that most american and european goods are now produced in china/ or taiwon..

bmetcalf

VOC Member
You made me check my spare tubes and the Metzelers are made in China. I have faith in the well-known brands to enforce their quality standards on their China suppliers. I have the impression that TUV and Euro regulations, maybe type approval requires the brand to take responsibility for the quality. Anyway, I want to ride and the European tube brands give me the most peace of mind.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Kevin,
My personal recomendation would be to go with what is known as an "Enduro" tube. These are usually heavier duty, rated for higher temp's and generally seem to last longer.

If you have an off road dealer near you they should be able to help, but as everyone else says, buy the best you can get.

HTH
Neil

davidd

VOC Member
I do not have any empirical evidence, but most of the racers I race with believe that the tube should be from a high quality mancufacturer and contain some rubber. They say that the cheap tubes tend to fail catastrophically, while the more expensive tubes will fail in a more controlled manner. I also run with the stem nut loose to see if the tire is moving on the rim.

David