Misc: Charging Systems Chinamo over charging.

James B

Forum User
VOC Member
That doesn’t sound right. The regulator should drive the field coil to a high voltage when there is little output from the armature. Once the armature output voltage is at the regulating level, the field coil voltage should have dropped, as the regulator is regulating the output

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello James, thanks for that. Not to sure how the dvr2 works but a previous regulator I had from Ken Bell relied on the voltage produced by the residual magnetism in the dynomo to kick it off.
Tomorrow I will go through the wiring to look for errors. John.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
When switching from say a good old Lucas regulator to say a new podtronics one, you will see you need to change the internal wiring of the generator. This it seems because there are two ways to regulate the out put, one by regulating the field coil and the other by regulating the armature, I forget which is which but it seems that the UK in general does it one way whilst the US lead by the like of Delco Remy back in the day and podtronics today, do it the other way. Took me a few hours of "what the Hell is happening here" to sort that one out..............

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The regulator actually regulates the field coil current and lets the field voltage do whatever it wants. The field coil is an electromagnet which is Amps x number of turns.

Last edited by a moderator:

James B

Forum User
VOC Member
Agree with all the posts on this page
-residual magnetism helps starts things off
-if the dynamo output is below the regulation voltage, then the regulator dumps power into the field coil - creating a stronger field - and thus the output increases
-as the revs increase, the dynamo output also rises. Above the regulation voltage, and the regulator is cutting power to the field coil, reducing the magnetic field and thus reducing the dynamo output

I used voltage to see what the field coil was doing but current, as posted above, is what the regulator actually controls. I find either is useful for fault diagnosis ( but not calibration ! )

john998

VOC Member
Hello, have checked the wiring all correct. Particularly checked the earth to the regulator.
Measured the field current it is 1.4 A at tick over and 3.7 max at higher revs. This is something like 40 Watts at 12 volts. Field coil is around 3.6 Ohms.
My knowledge of dynamos is not up to knowing if this is correct, so am going out for a ride, this often helps the thinking process.
Perhaps I will try another make of regulator. John.

James B

Forum User
VOC Member
You would expect the field coil power to be reduced once the regulation voltage on the output is reached. Increasing the revs higher beyond this point should result in lower field coil power as it attempts to limit dynamo power output. Otherwise overcharging will occur

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hello James, thanks for that. Not to sure how the dvr2 works but a previous regulator I had from Ken Bell relied on the voltage produced by the residual magnetism in the dynomo to kick it off.
Tomorrow I will go through the wiring to look for errors. John.

Attachments

• dvr2-data.pdf
    161.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Miller-DVR2.pdf
    191.7 KB · Views: 14

john998

VOC Member
Hello, have been in touch with AO services, apparently they were consulted back in the nineties Vis avis Chinamos. He recommended their car electronic regulator, so I have ordered one. He also said that a larger capacity battery would help. My new battery is 7AH so should be ok.
When the new setup is fitted I will report back. John.