Misc: Charging Systems Chinamo over charging.

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, a novel problem my Chinamo is over charging. Originally I used a JG this started to over charge so I changed the battery no improvement.
So I changed the regulator for a DVR2 unit, no change as this was some years later I fitted another new battery, no change.
i have now changed the Chinamo for a similar unit ,no change.
Has any one had a similar problem if so any fix? John.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I think you might have had two separate problems, the over charging was probably the original regulator, the non charging could be that the replacement Chinamo needs polarising or flashing, same thing, could also apply to the original Chinamo that ceased charging after you started to swap things around.

john998

VOC Member
Hello Peter, sorry , I should have said still over charging with the new dynamo. I will blame the spell checker! John.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I think you might have had two separate problems, the over charging was probably the original regulator, the non charging could be that the replacement Chinamo needs polarising or flashing, same thing, could also apply to the original Chinamo that ceased charging after you started to swap things around.
I think that John is saying he still has the original problem. i.e. Overcharging unless a spell check has changed no chaRge to no ChaNge.
(John's reply above came in as I was writing this post.)

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Just a thought, how do you know it's overcharging, does the ammeter show it, or are you cooking batteries?
If either, it could be a faulty ammeter, or maybe you have a small battery in an old style B38 case that's overheating?

john998

VOC Member
Hello John, yes ammeter has been checked the dynamo is pushing 6 to 8 amps into a large battery that is already at 12.6 volts. The voltage is going above 14.5 volts. I have all LED lamps as a test I fitted a 60watt halogen,it still pushed too much charge into the battery. John

john998

VOC Member
Hello Gary, it is a standard lead-acid. The thing is that the charge rate never reduces whatever the state of change in the battery. John.

Last edited by a moderator: