Check your ESA nut

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You beat me to the answer. The last time my ESA came undone was in the 70s at a Vincent Cadwell High Speed Trial when I was running second (it was fairly early in the race). Since then I spend more time assembling the ESA than the rest of the engine.

I stuck with the first wife, couldn't risk a second one, at least this one banishes me to the garage when Neighbours is on tv.

H
Howard, the first time i was in the UK, anytime I went to a pub (rarely...honest) as soon as the guys heard the accent I would get a mouthful (in jest) about "you B#$%ards gave us bloody neighbours...thats all the wife watches" my response was always the same ........."Coronation Street" :p

John Cone

VOC Member
This is what i use to tighten the ESA nut, combined with a large copper mallet.
P1000743.jpg

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
they do that, Allan Lancaster had one let go in Switzerland and had it welded at the nearest garage. The hard part was filing the junction of the sleeve /hexagon so it would tighten up.They should have a good radius at this point but don't. When you fit the new one use Locktite, Ken

Ducdude

VOC Member
I did, and this is what I found:

OK Vincent experts here is your chance to help out a youngish newbe (46).. What does ESA stand for and I am guessing this part in the picture is P# PD7 in the primary side correct?

Lots to learn,

Thanks,
Eric

Howard

VOC Member
OK Vincent experts here is your chance to help out a youngish newbe (46).. What does ESA stand for and I am guessing this part in the picture is P# PD7 in the primary side correct?

Lots to learn,

Thanks,
Eric

It's irritating when we/they talk abreviations and part numbers. I'm just glad there's a list of part numbers on this site, and I've been a Vincent owner for 38 years.

You'll soon get to know your A55 from your EL80W. :) See how I Americanised that for you? The UK part number for A55 is 4R5E.

H

Howard

VOC Member
Hello Experts,

sorry, but I´m Vincent youngster - unfortunately not in age.
Could you please exlain me what is ESA nut?

Thanks
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian

ESA = Engine Shock Absorber - in the centre of the sprocket on the crankshaft go to Main Club Site - Info - Technical - Series C - Drawing M014 - Nut is PD7.

H

Ducdude

VOC Member
Hello Experts,
sorry, but I´m Vincent youngster - unfortunately not in age.
Could you please exlain me what is ESA nut?
Sebastian

Hi Sebastian as you can see above the ESA (Engine Shock Absorber) nut is the nut P# PD7 in the primary side see dwr# MO14. Does that help or do you need more data?
Eric

Sebastian Huber

VOC Member
Hi bmetcalf,

many thanks! The link was the solution. Have had it definitely in my hands when reworking primary drive, but couldn`t remember.
(2 years ago, bought my Shadow in LA)

Sebastian
Bavaria, Germany