Check your ESA nut

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Drilled holes are nowt to do with it. H

You're going to have to take my word for this, but they are. What you can't see in the pic is that there are 6 holes drilled in the front face of the nut exactly where the flange meets the tubular section. There's no way that this won't have weakened the nut.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Why are there six holes drilled in to the front face? To get the lock wire out? Why weren't the holes drilled across the corners then in that case. In some cases the shaft thread comes up flush with the face of the nut, in others its well below the surface.

Howard

VOC Member
You're going to have to take my word for this, but they are. What you can't see in the pic is that there are 6 holes drilled in the front face of the nut exactly where the flange meets the tubular section. There's no way that this won't have weakened the nut.

I may be wrong - I was once - 23 Oct 1971 - wedding day - but, without seeing it in the flesh, I still don't think the holes are to blame. It's probably started where the internal thread crosses that deep score mark on the outside, and then spread along the score mark. If the crank is way short of the end of the nut, as Ogri suggests may be the case, the break may have been started when it was tightened, and the crack could have been growing until there just isn't enough metal for the job, then you'd have a lot of noise and no drive.

Ogri, I've seen wiring holes drilled like that, not very successful, the corner where the two holes meet tends to cut into the wire. Probably someone who was P***d off breaking drills trying to drill accross the corners - I used to buy 1/16" drills 10 at a time, until I finally sussed it.

H

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I may be wrong - I was once - 23 Oct 1971 - wedding day - but, without seeing it in the flesh, I still don't think the holes are to blame. It's probably started where the internal thread crosses that deep score mark on the outside, and then spread along the score mark. If the crank is way short of the end of the nut, as Ogri suggests may be the case, the break may have been started when it was tightened, and the crack could have been growing until there just isn't enough metal for the job, then you'd have a lot of noise and no drive.

Ogri, I've seen wiring holes drilled like that, not very successful, the corner where the two holes meet tends to cut into the wire. Probably someone who was P***d off breaking drills trying to drill accross the corners - I used to buy 1/16" drills 10 at a time, until I finally sussed it.

H
Hi Howard, to what do you connect the other end of the wire when lockwiring the ESA nut?

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
Why are there six holes drilled in to the front face? To get the lock wire out? Why weren't the holes drilled across the corners then in that case. In some cases the shaft thread comes up flush with the face of the nut, in others its well below the surface.

I haven't a clue - I didn't drill them. They are presumably to get the lock wire out, but why 6, and what you would lock them to I wouldn't know. Somebody's bright idea...

Alan J

VOC Member
'Tis a horrible device that has caused me much grief over the years! So do we all strip off the chaincase and have a look? [on second thoughts I am going to pretend I never read this "thread!]

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
Howard, I made that mistake too, wrecked my life. Never do that again. No marriage, no living together. Red, drill a lock wire hole or two through PD5. File a notch on the inside of PD5 so that the lock wire isn't trapped by the rising PD3/2 Alan J, "'Tis a horrible device that has caused me much grief over the years!" a wife? yes they will do that. My ex one still does. Don't have that problem with a Vincent, once its gone, its gone. Never had to dispense with one.

Phelps

Howard

VOC Member
Howard, I made that mistake too, wrecked my life. Never do that again. No marriage, no living together. Red, drill a lock wire hole or two through PD5. File a notch on the inside of PD5 so that the lock wire isn't trapped by the rising PD3/2 Alan J, "'Tis a horrible device that has caused me much grief over the years!" a wife? yes they will do that. My ex one still does. Don't have that problem with a Vincent, once its gone, its gone. Never had to dispense with one.

Phelps

You beat me to the answer. The last time my ESA came undone was in the 70s at a Vincent Cadwell High Speed Trial when I was running second (it was fairly early in the race). Since then I spend more time assembling the ESA than the rest of the engine.

I stuck with the first wife, couldn't risk a second one, at least this one banishes me to the garage when Neighbours is on tv.

H