• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Check your ESA nut

youngjohn

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
I did, and this is what I found:

DSCF4965-1.jpg

john998

VOC Member
Hello,
Mercurycrest is correct, lack of radius will/may make this happen. It is remarkable that this failure is not more common as there is little meat at the change of section.

Regards John.

ogrilp400

VOC Member
I agree John. I'm amazed that given the torque that these nuts are done up to and the pounding they get from the ESA on full compression, it is a wonder that more haven't failed here.

Howard

VOC Member
Drilled holes are nowt to do with it.

The deep scoring (poor machining??) hasn’t helped. It seems to have broken along a score mark not at the change of section (or is it my eyes/quality of picture).

I’ve not had my ESA apart for years, does the thread on the crankshaft go to the end of the nut? If it does, I don’t know how it breaks there, other than tightening/slackening. I’m a bit concerned that I use an impact driver to release mine – I’ll have to check it next time I’m in the area.

H

Howard

VOC Member
Sorry, double posted somehow.......... To be sure, to be sure........ maybe :)

H

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Photos from the 2022 North American Rally

Photos from the 2022 Far Far North Rally

Photos from the 2022 Annual Rally

Photos from the 2022 French Rally