Chat Feature

G

Graham Smith

Sorry for the lack of website today. I've been trying to add a new feature, but integrating it with what we already have is proving more complicated than I thought.

I'll give it another go later, once I've got a beer in my hand!

G

Graham Smith

I think I've managed to work out how to integrate this new feature.

It's a Club 'chatroom', which you might find useful bearing in mind most people in the UK are confined to their houses.

I'm going to try and turn it on this evening, so don't be surprised if a couple of new options pop up on your screen.

There's lots of options, but I've tried to make it as simple as possible.

Steve Doherty @touring comet gave it a try earlier on with his iPad, but thought it was better on a 'proper' computer with a bigger screen.

Will post here once I've turned it on.

Sorry to all our non VOC website users. This facility will be reserved for Club Members only.

If you want to join the VOC and gain access to all the facilities on this website (there are loads), simply visit https://www.vincentownersclub.co.uk/join

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Graham, it seems to be a nice feature. When I see names listed in the "Members online now" list, I've thought "boy, would be neat to chat with them". There are two ways to access the chat. If you see a banner at the bottom of your screen, you can click that to bring up a floating window. On a tablet, it worked better when I held the tablet in portrait view, since that floating window wants to be tall. Instead, if you click Chat up in the menu bar, the chat will be displayed normally in your browser tab, which works well on small screens in either portrait or landscape orientation.

G

Graham Smith

Sorry gents. Have run into some further problems, so I can't switch it on tonight.

Eyes are tired now, so will take another look with fresh eyes at some point in the morning.

G

Graham Smith

OK, so we should be up and running now.

The image below shows that there are 25 potential members of the VOC who are online (indicated by the green 25 in the menu bar)

If the user has a been active within the last ten minutes, they have a green dot after their name.

If the user has been inactive for between ten to twenty minutes, the green dot disappears.

After twenty minutes if they're inactive, their name disappears completely.

It should be noted that everything you post here is 'public' - ie. every Club Member can see it, so it's fine for a general conversation, but I am also in the process of configuring it, so that you can have 'private' conversations with other Members.

Please feel free to have a go.

G

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 18.25.20.jpg
Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 18.25.27.jpg

G

Graham Smith

Please note that I have disabled the Chat feature on mobile devices, as some members were complaining that it dominated their smaller screens.

It will still be available on tablets and desktops.