Chas and John camhi

trial and error

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi everyone, I know this may be a long shot but I am after some info on chas and John camhi.
My name is Gary but I'm known as sparky as I'm an electrician(if you hadn't guessed), chas and John
used to sprint many years ago in the sixties all over but lived in the Croydon area.
Some names keep cropping up like dicky cox and they ring a bell but as chas was my grandad and I have
Been told many stories of the good old days I am intreagued to learn more and try to find friends and
film/photos along with his Vincent bike!
All help gratefully received.

Rodders

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Gary, I think you may be the chap I spoke to at Treens Motorcycle shop in Crediton on Monday last. There are plenty of folk in the VOC who remember both Chas and John Camhi, back in the early sixties they used to go to the Surrey Section of the club, so were very well known. Some names from that time that spring to mind are Dickie Cox of course, but there was Geoff Woods, Robbie Ayres, Malcolm Attrill, Alan Handscombe, Reay Macay and so on, all of those gentlemen campaigned Vincents in one form or another, so plenty of memories and I dare say, lots of photos, you have my phone number, I would be glad to help in any way I can.

Rod Farr

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
This is from 1967 - Ron Vane is still around, maybe he can tell us something ?
ChasCamhi.jpg

trial and error

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Oh my god!!!! Ive got shivers running down my spine! That pic is fantastic. My Mum is Chas' daughter and I cannot wait to show her this pic.
A very big thankyou for this pic and if anyone has any more info I would be grateful as unfortunately Chas died a few years ago and I miss his stories if the old days,
John however is still with us thankfully and I love to hear his stories.

Rod, I have an apology for you as whilst being caught up in the moment about John's bike and memories, I got the info about his bike wrong, John does still have
his sprint bike but its not a vincent, its a triumph 650cc (although still a very impressive machine), the bike we reminisced about was Chas' Vincent 1000cc with a boat supercharger
and I guess I just assumed that was the bike John had but hey ho it's not.

Sparky Gary

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Gary, You may already know about the Photos, But if you don't, There are three pic's of the brothers and the Vin in (The vincent-H.R.D. owners club A Photographic miscellany ) By Geoff Preece . A super Book for any body who was there !! and for others. Cheers Bill.

trial and error

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
You guys (and gals) are the best, these pics are great and i'm off to see mum (paulette) tonight to show her, does anyone remember Chas' girls Paulette & Lynn?
I've got a few of chas' cups that he won in his time and a limited edition print No 4/500 of a Vincent Rapide which he treasured also a few photo's of the old days, so when
I get my scanner up and running I will post a few photo's on here and maybe you can fill in some names to the faces or maybe one of them is you in the photo's!
Thankyou Bill, I will endeavour to get a copy of the book.

trial and error

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks A-BCD AND Bill for your help on this quest, Ive located a copy of this rare book in Australia, do you know of one more local thats for sale or available for reference?

Thanks

Sparky (Gary)