Charging sealed batteries with Alton alternators

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some cars had the same problem with batteries in the 80's. Austin Agroes and meastros had a problem that if the batteries charge dropped to below half, the alternator would not pick up and recharge. If you let them drop below half charge the only answer was to fit a new one or recharge on a charger.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
LiFePo4 batteries such as the Shorai and Ballistic are a type of Lithium Ion Battery. An Ion is just a charged particle, it can be any particle that has an inbalanced number of protons and electrons, so ions can be either negatively or positively charged.

Last edited:

Howard

VOC Member
As I understand it (and I'm rarely right on electrics) A Lead Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery produces Lithium Ions, so a Lithium Iron battery is the same as a Lithium Ion Battery.

H

That should be LITHIUM Iron Phosphate :eek:

Last edited:

jim burgess

VOC Member
LiFePo4 batteries such as the Shorai and Ballistic are a type of Lithium Ion Battery. An Ion is just a charged particle, it can be any particle that has an inbalanced number of protons and electrons, so ions can be either negatively or positively charged.

Simple see? I new this would be simple...
So current status of Norvin.

Old sealed Bosch 11.65v across terminals and after testing at the bikeshop they say "clapped".

Old Shadow lead acid 12.66v and seems fine. When fitted to bike and run up charges at up to 8amps.

New sealed Bosch 12.66v on the bench and 13.5v on the bike charging at 4amps. On initial start up will go to 8amps at fast tickover settling back to 4amps max after a short while. Discharges at 2 amps at tickover with 12.5v and slowly dropping, blipping the throttle gives 6amps.
The bosch lists correct charging as 4amps for 1 hour or 0.9 amps for 5 to 10 hours. Serial no 509 902 008 GT9 B4

All this is garage testing only, next step THE ROAD! Not today as the hailstones have been bouncing out of my tea! At least I am excused grass cuttin' duty.
Cheers folks.
Jim Burgess

Little Honda

Non-VOC Member
Hi, Redbloke, I found the same with my electric forklift. The battery expert explained to me, that modern battery-chargers might not recognize a dead battery,
anymore, due to too low voltage. They need a minimum voltage, to start the charging process. The trick was, to connect a simple strong charger which charges at a preset range, to supply only the minimum charge into your dead battery, to let the modern electronically regulated charger find your battery.
He will then continue to recharge your dead battery without the risk to overcharge. It worked on my forklift, which operates on separated 2V-cells, so that I
could charge 2 times in 2 steps with a 12V-charger, before I added the modern 24V-charger, which did the trick.
Up to now, the 7AH- Gelbattery on my norvin works fine, being regularly lubricated under the engine and being kept well awake by modest vibrations.....
cheers!

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi, Redbloke, I found the same with my electric forklift. The battery expert explained to me, that modern battery-chargers might not recognize a dead battery,
anymore, due to too low voltage. They need a minimum voltage, to start the charging process. The trick was, to connect a simple strong charger which charges at a preset range, to supply only the minimum charge into your dead battery, to let the modern electronically regulated charger find your battery.
He will then continue to recharge your dead battery without the risk to overcharge. It worked on my forklift, which operates on separated 2V-cells, so that I
could charge 2 times in 2 steps with a 12V-charger, before I added the modern 24V-charger, which did the trick.
Up to now, the 7AH- Gelbattery on my norvin works fine, being regularly lubricated under the engine and being kept well awake by modest vibrations.....
cheers!
Thanks Little Honda, but that has added confusion for me, I was under the suspicion that the batteries were the problem, your situation indicates it may be the charger......however, While in the RAAF I once worked in a battery maintenance workshop which contained mainly (in those days) lead acid and Ni Cad Batteries, the problem I mentioned with Gel batteries not taking a charge when run to dead flat was exclusively in Gel and not in wet/liquid batteries.
During the winter when guys were coming to work in the dark I would get a dozen "flat battery issues" a week from people leaving lights on, don't ever remember a flat wet/liquid acid battery not taking a charge?????

Maybe it is a bit of both: Battery Vs Charger.??

Thanks for the input mate.

Kevin