Chains - Primary and Drive.

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Spanish Chains....

I'm not familiar with Spanish Chains - unsure of the make or reputation - however I have seen several nasty occurences when a primary chain breaks - usually resulting in a bill of more that £1000.

If price is the driving factor on spending £30 on a primary chain I'd rather buy a named make from a proven source, not to say that it will not break but I'd like to do everything I can to reduce the chance. Not sure what the right price ism but Sprockets Unlimited seem to know what they were about, and I've been very happy with the IWIS.

Stuart

Andy the 'Chain Man' does Iwis. Phone number on my first posting. My friend bought a Spainish primary chain from him at Stafford yesterday for his Rap. Paid £30.

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
I'm not familiar with Spanish Chains - unsure of the make or reputation - however I have seen several nasty occurences when a primary chain breaks - usually resulting in a bill of more that £1000.

If price is the driving factor on spending £30 on a primary chain I'd rather buy a named make from a proven source, not to say that it will not break but I'd like to do everything I can to reduce the chance. Not sure what the right price ism but Sprockets Unlimited seem to know what they were about, and I've been very happy with the IWIS.

Stuart

I was impressed by Andy. He's been in the business for years and told me that he does get asked to attend bike club meets to give a talk about various chains etc.
I also bought a drive chain for a Velocette Viper. Iwis £27 from the 'Chain Man', Sprockets unlimited were selling exactly the same Iwis Chain for £38.

Mark......

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi all.
Andy `the chain man`has been a great help for advice and does all the above named chains and even supplies some of the Vincent dealers, so the quality is the same. He can be contacted on drivesol@aol.com
Cheers, DJ

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Chains

I have a Renold (VOCSC) primary, and have never explored the alternatives (10,000 miles so far). Rear chains however, I do know about, and the critical thing is the thickness of the sideplates. I have both Tsubaki and DID on other bikes and both have sideplates twice as thick as the Renold on the Vin. When I replace that I'll replace it with a Tsubaki or DID, which means a 520 (5 x 1/8" pitch, 2.0 x 1/8" wide rollers) instead of the standard 3/8" wide. (In modern nomenclature, the standard Vin would be a 530.) However, since my claimed 76 bhp and no reason to doubt it Ducati Monster uses an o-seal 520, and in 10,000 Scott-oiled miles I've only adjusted it once, I reckon it'll be OK.
Can anyone explain in a sentence what the benefits of X-ring chains are, and what one gets for ones money? I'm damned if I can find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

johncrispin

VOC Member
Tom,
Thanks for the exposition re Alan Davies, excellent product and for the amount of work with that double curvature dirt cheap. I think he is completely off the old bike scene now ? Won everything with a perfect bike then quit I was told, another good man who made good Rudge repro tinware Ray Millar has recently passed away also bad news, and as for the Fakirs oops did i spell that ok ? there are lots of them about but we need a good one who can make all these nice dies for us to make our guards etc.
I bought a Tsubaki primary from Vinparts i am sure. atb J

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Guards

Nice to hear from you again, John. I too had heard that Ray was gone. quote=johncrispin;6856]Tom,
Thanks for the exposition re Alan Davies, excellent product and for the amount of work with that double curvature dirt cheap. I think he is completely off the old bike scene now ? Won everything with a perfect bike then quit I was told, another good man who made good Rudge repro tinware Ray Millar has recently passed away also bad news, and as for the Fakirs oops did i spell that ok ? there are lots of them about but we need a good one who can make all these nice dies for us to make our guards etc.
I bought a Tsubaki primary from Vinparts i am sure. atb J[/quote]