Chains - Primary and Drive.

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just had excellent service from 'The Chain Man' that advertises in OBM.(01299 403668)
Good advice / price, and put's the goodies in the post.When you receive the goods and your happy, you then send a cheque.:)

bmetcalf

VOC Member
There is quite a bit of history to various types of twin primary chain, with very bad results from the wrong kind, so be careful.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Chains

No idea what he told you, but what I've figured out, with help from Jacqueline Bickerstaff among others, is that Renold never made "motorcycle chains", they made industrial chains that had an adequate life on motorcycles. And were cheap. The people who make motorcycle chains are people (Japanese people) like DID and Tsubaki, and if you doubt that, just compare the thickness of the sideplates. Presumably Honda et al were not prepared to accept that since doing it properly would cost more per chain, they should just bumble through by lying to the end user about all failures being down to poor maintenance....
My (76 bhp) Ducati Monster has a DID 5/8" x 1/4" chain which has been adjusted maybe once in 10,000 miles. My Manx Norton has used two Tsubaki 5/8" x 1/4" motocross, non-o-seal chains in 14 seasons.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I've fitted Iwis Megalife

As recommended I fitted and forgot an Iwis Megalife - you don't need to lubricate it, no really, that's what he told me and that's what I do mostly, the odd bit of oil before a long trip. Hardly needs adjusting, great deal.

More expensive at £80, but you get what you pay for.

Stuart

No idea what he told you, but what I've figured out, with help from Jacqueline Bickerstaff among others, is that Renold never made "motorcycle chains", they made industrial chains that had an adequate life on motorcycles. And were cheap. The people who make motorcycle chains are people (Japanese people) like DID and Tsubaki, and if you doubt that, just compare the thickness of the sideplates. Presumably Honda et al were not prepared to accept that since doing it properly would cost more per chain, they should just bumble through by lying to the end user about all failures being down to poor maintenance....
My (76 bhp) Ducati Monster has a DID 5/8" x 1/4" chain which has been adjusted maybe once in 10,000 miles. My Manx Norton has used two Tsubaki 5/8" x 1/4" motocross, non-o-seal chains in 14 seasons.

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member

Your exactly right Tom in what your saying about Renolds Chains. He also said that within the last three years their chain quality has gone downhill. Tsubaki is what I've been supplied with for the primary and Iwis for the drive chain.

Mark

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Chains, my baby's got me tied up in chains.....

I run Renolds on my Vin. With a Scottoiler, the rear is holding up. However since i bought the chains from an engineering supplier - much cheaper than bike dealers - the seller asked me if I wanted the real Renold chain (one piece rollers) or the cheaper alternative, with "rolled rollers", that Renold had made for them from recycled Morris Marinas in Krapovia, and branded "Renold". I bought the good stuff. It was an interesting insight into "branding". You get a good reputation by making good kit, then having established that, buy any cheap crap and flog it off as high quality branded tackle. A good story is that "the man from Nike" found that fake Nike's (£10) were actually better made than "real Nike's" (£100) so they took the contract away from the "real" factory and gave it to the "faker".
Your exactly right Tom in what your saying about Renolds Chains. He also said that within the last three years their chain quality has gone downhill. Tsubaki is what I've been supplied with for the primary and Iwis for the drive chain.

Mark

Mark Fraser

Non-VOC Member
Iwis chain

Where does one purchase an IWIS? Neither VOC Spares nor Vinparts indicate what brand their drive chains are.

Andy the 'Chain Man' does Iwis. Phone number on my first posting. My friend bought a Spainish primary chain from him at Stafford yesterday for his Rap. Paid £30.