A: Oil Pipework Chain oiler

Michel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, I just read the Richardson (fig. 29) and, I'm affraid, you are right.
As I cut the chain oiler, the pressure has risen and the oil is passing through.
Damned :mad:

timetraveller

VOC Member
Sorry Michel. I had forgotten it was a Comet. However, the leak from the main bearing can be the same. In fact there is nowhere else for the oil to come from. None in the gearbox etc. and a dirty great hole behind the clutch to let things out. (Your other message has just come in.) However, blocking off the chain oiler cannot cause this problem but do make sure that the breather from the engine is not blocked. Excess crank case pressure can cause oil to leak past the main bearings but the chain oiler cannot be considered a normal way to reduce crank case pressure. If all else fails fit a 'D' breather temporarily to one of the tappet covers and go for a run. You might get oil out of that breather but you cannot get crank case pressure.

Michel

VOC Member
I check the breather from the engine and it's O.K. Can I fit the "D" breather instead of the magneto drive cover ET136/1 (because I have one) ?

timetraveller

VOC Member
The breather that is fitted to the magneto drive cover is normally called 'an elephants trunk breather' and is different from a 'D' breather. However, it will ensure that there is no crank case pressure and that is all that matters for this test.

oexing

VOC Member
You may look into fitting a breather of the reed type to the engine. I do not like the timed rotary sleeve, for various reasons. I will most likely do a special valve spring cap plus hose that ends in a reed type breather as I did with other singles. That way you get some average low pressure in the crank case that may stop oil entering the primary drive.

Vic

Michel

VOC Member
Good evening everyone. I dramatized a problem yet simple :rolleyes:. Duration of winter, the oil has drilled in the bottom of the engine. By restarting the bike, the oil overflowed into the primary chain case. I took good advice and drained the bottom of the engine and the primary chain cover correcting the levels. And now everything is in order :). Thank you for your comments.

Paulx

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
check for debris from an earlier needle in the seat - I have had the tip break off a needle and get stuck in there
The same thing has happened to me - how the devil did you get it out? The adjustment seems to be about right - I'm tempted to just leave it there...