Chain Lube

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am looking for advice on the best ancillary automatic chain oilers available, I would prefer not to use the vacuum types, typically Scottoiler as I would rather not drill a manifold, even if doing so has no detrimental effect.
That leaves motion sensor, electric or manual (semi automatic Loobman), I quite like the look and concept of the Totoro, any advice welcome.
Cheers
Peter

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Have a look at Lubtronic/ pdoiler made by Brian Stoke of 7 Hurley close, Amsbury, Wilts sp4 7qz phone number01980 624877
b.stokes985@btinternet.com www.pdoiler.co.uk

these are an electronic chain oiler that come with a handle bar mounted controller, and are not as expensive as the scot oiler type. We have found it to be a good piece of kit.
stumpy lord

vibrac

VOC Member
Like the look of that oiler It would have saved me a chain friday night and saturday on the Lands end Trial certainly no time to adjust anything and mud is not a good lubricant. but no space on handlebars for a controler (levers, controls, route map, clock tie down spots,view port to speedo= no space left!)

vibrac

VOC Member
O ring chain can sap power a good chain oiler works well with non O ring but they always seemed to much trouble until I saw the above product there is another diadvantage to O ring chain but owning a Vincent it seems petty to mention the cost...;)

macvette

Non-VOC Member
I have a Pro Oiler on my Triumph Sprint ST and have done 15000 miles with minimum chain wear. It needs a 12 volt system to operate. It works by counting the number of revs of the rear wheel and uses a miniature magnetic pump to supply a metered oil supply to the chain. On the Triumph ( and other modern bikes) it uses the Hall sensor for the speedo to actuate the pump although it can also be supplied with a reed switch which senses directly from the wheel. I have been very happy with it and you can use ordinary oil. Unlike vacuum operated systems, it does not supply oil when the bike is stationary with the engine running. On the Rapide which is 6volts and has an O ring chain, I use chain lube spray. Google Pro Oiler for details. I have no connection with the supplier.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
If you are using a NON O Ring chain then Chain wax may be a better option. I have 2 chains and I wax both of them and every 1,000 miles I simply remove the chain on the bike (and then re-wax it and put it on the shelf) and replace it with the already waxed spare chain. Here is some more info about it, from an article I wrote some time back.

The only manufacturer that I have managed to find that makes Motorcycle Chain Wax is Putoline Chain Wax 1kg. Despite its name, it is the traditional motorcycle chain wax (not the wax chain lube in a spray can). Big metal tin (24cm by 7.5cm), that has solid wax, heat up the tin, the wax melts and penetrates deep in to the chain. I have not found a supplier in Australia but you can buy it on the internet, search for Putoline Chain Wax 1kg, the 1kg bit is important since you do not want wax chain lube in a spray can (which is totally different, more like chain oil!). It can be purchased from these folks in New Zealand www.bits4bikes.co.nz though these folks can also help out http://www.motozone.co.nz/

Chain wax still by far the best way to lubricate a non-o ring chain saving you not only a fortune in new chains and sprockets (chain and sprockets will last much, much, much, much longer), but also keeps the chain in a near new condition, so resistance does not build up anywhere near as much (more power at back wheel). BUT Chain wax CANNOT be used on O, X or Z ring chains, since it would melt the rubber of the rings.

The chain wax can be used over and over again (since it uses very little wax per chain), so one tin will last a very long time, will not age and will be good for many, many years. The chances are if you are under 50 years old, you have never heard of Motorcycle Chain Wax. If you are over 50 years old and were motorcycling in your youth, you have probably used it and know everything about it. Remember you cannot use this hot wax on any type of “sealed” chain.

M