Chain Lube

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Having spent a lot of time looking for a pan Of Duchams linklyfe to be told "it must be a long time since you last lubricated your chain" cos they stopped making it years ago. Well chaps if you are of the old school like me and like to clean and boil the chain properly I have found a company that imports in to the uk, called Putoline, that does a boil in the pan chain wax. With the carrraige it was £29.00. if anyone is interested I will post the name & address of my supplier. Tomorrow I will see if I can manage to fill the house with the arroma of grease.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
That brings back memories !! Have to say there are better products available now though , thankfully !! I prefer sprays , my prefered brand is Motorex.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, used to use linklyfe, then spray cans. Now have Scott oilers fitted, one on an O ring one on
a ordinary chain. Even the standard chain has benefited, I think the grease attracts crud. but the oil
appears to flush the the chain clean. John.

mr.hutch

VOC Member
Linklife etc.

Having spent a lot of time looking for a pan Of Duchams linklyfe to be told "it must be a long time since you last lubricated your chain" cos they stopped making it years ago. Well chaps if you are of the old school like me and like to clean and boil the chain properly I have found a company that imports in to the uk, called Putoline, that does a boil in the pan chain wax. With the carrraige it was £29.00. if anyone is interested I will post the name & address of my supplier. Tomorrow I will see if I can manage to fill the house with the arroma of grease.

Your a brave man John,
in my case, she who must be obeyed, has laid down a law that shall not be broken ,ie.,

"Thou shalt not use the product, Linklife or its competitors, within the confines of this house, or fifty feet thereof ".

Anyway I like to be stroppy so use it on the Primus in the garage and make suitable fumes, I still like it as a product, but I know I'm losing the plot relative to modern items.

Ride carefully mr.hutch :)

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
I first used a Scott-oiler on my Ducati Monster. Or at least I used it once i realised what it was, at first I thought it was some Ducati-devised complexity, function unknown but essential. I bought a new DID 520 o-seal chain, filled the Scott-oiler, and have nothing further to report. Certainly not a chain adjustment, in 10,000 miles. So I bought one for the Vin. This was a JWIS chain, which until recently I thought was Renold - no o-seals, no nothing. Same story, nearly. I've twice taken the chain up one click, checked, then put it back where it was. That's in 14,000 miles, so far. The only bike on which I've ever had to do less chain adjustment than on those two, has been my Sunbeam S7.