PT: Exhaust Ceramic coating

Gerry Clarke

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Marcus,

Those are my old mate Henry's pipes. We hit a big dog and flattened a section of pipe so these were the replacements.

Gerry

Chris Launders

VOC Member
A common way to stop pipes discolouring among custom bike builders is to coat the inside with VHT exhaust paint, the pipes must be new or chemically cleaned inside to remove any carbon or oil residue.
Plug one end of the pipe and spray a copious amount of the paint in, cover the open end and slosh it about until the pipe is coated all over, uncover the end and tip any remaining paint into a container and seal.
Let that coat of paint dry and repeat several times.
You can use the saved paint in the container as well.
Chris.

vibrac

VOC Member
Personally I rather like a touch of blue on me pipes shows it been working
However if I found internally it makes it go faster (jury out) I would bother and as I say Roy Robertson did it

Albervin

VOC Member
A common way to stop pipes discolouring among custom bike builders is to coat the inside with VHT exhaust paint, the pipes must be new or chemically cleaned inside to remove any carbon or oil residue.
Plug one end of the pipe and spray a copious amount of the paint in, cover the open end and slosh it about until the pipe is coated all over, uncover the end and tip any remaining paint into a container and seal.
Let that coat of paint dry and repeat several times.
You can use the saved paint in the container as well.
Chris.
I too have heard of that and is a much cheaper alternative to ceramic. As I have S/S pipes I have been talked out of ceramic coating. I remember Henry's bike and while I was not that impressed with the dull finish he did have it well tuned. He was a great character, a dear friend and much missed.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Are you saying you extend the flange on both front and rear? The problem then arises on which pipes. Mine are Australian which are most like different to your pipes. I like the three piece because they give you some movement for fit. Not worried about original.
Overlander?

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Nope. Just three different bikes.
Unfortunately, I have had mufflers crack and break. V7 Sport and Egli replica. To be fair, both were 1980's manufacture and the muffler shells were light gauge material. I would expect that by now they would be using heavier gauge tube and have no problems.