PT: Exhaust Ceramic coating

Gary Gittleson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I just spoke to Eastwood. The fellow I spoke to used to ride a Norton but gave it up when his brother got killed on a bike. I wish we didn't have to live with that threat.

Anyhow, he said that the product would help prevent discolorization but he wasn't sure if it would be a complete solution. He also recommended acetone as a cleaning agent for used pipes. I reminded him that the video promotes their cleaner and that used pipes will have carbon buildup to be removed but he said acetone is better for that. That reply seemed strange to me. It could be a sign of honesty or just one of ignorance.

I may give this a try over the winter and report the results -- probably in the spring, after a bit of riding with newly-cleaned and protected pipes.

Do any of you performance pros have an opinion about the idea of keeping the heat inside the pipes? Not that I plan to race.

davidd

VOC Member
Exhaust pipe coatings and/or wraps have not demonstrated any serious performance enhancements. They can solve problems with unwanted heat, but these are mostly small and very specific issues.

David

Gerry Clarke

VOC Member
IMG_1843 (1024x669).jpg

From a pal, I bought a second hand set of mild steel pipes that had been ceramic coated. Here is a photo several thousand miles after fitment. No discolouration.

Gerry

litnman

VOC Member
Has anyone tried winding fine copper wire around the pipes near the exhaust port? A local gent
did it on his 1965 Sportster when new and there is no discoloration never has been.

Rob H

VOC Member
I had a new set of chrome pipes internally coated many years ago to prevent discoloration. To some extent it was successful. The things I discovered were as follows:

In principle it does work as the coating prevents heat transfer from the hot exhaust gases to the pipe which prevents the discolouration. However if you use copper exhaust gaskets you can still get discolouration at the top due to direct heat transfer from the cylinder head, it is better to use asbestos/fibre type.

Although the coating prevents discolouration of the downpipes the heat is retained in the exhaust gases and just moves the problem downstream and you will find that silencer/muffler will now start to discolour.

As for performance on a road bike there is no discernible difference.

Gerry Clarke

VOC Member
With external ceramic on the pipes, in several thousand miles there has been no discolouration of either the pipes or the muffler/silencer. None at all. Perhaps the persistent rain on the wild Atlantic coast here helps!

Gerry

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Henry Martini had a set of coated pipes like that and called it Irish "Chrome" him being an Irishman thought well they do give a different look and didn't discolour and he rode it hard even I had a go on it and probably one of the smoothest I've ridden. (Bob Dunn Rebuild).
bananaman.