PT: Exhaust Ceramic coating

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just purchased a set of stainless steel pipes for my Shadow. I read somewhere that you can coat the inside of s/s pipes to prevent staining and colouration due to weak/rich mixture. Has anyone had any experience with this process?

davidd

VOC Member
I read somewhere that you can coat the inside of s/s pipes to prevent staining and colouration due to weak/rich mixture.

I don't believe it can be done in the "normal" way we think about the ceramic coating of exhaust pipes. Ceramic coatings are applied with a "plasma" spray system that applies the powdered ceramic coating in a stream of gas produced by DC current. The general rule is you can only apply plasma sprayed coatings to areas you can see, like the exterior of the pipe. Interior coating with a plasma spray unit is not performed, as far as I know.

There are "paint-on" ways of coating the internal portion of pipes, but I do not know about durability. Ceramic engine coating appears to work well for some items, but there is not much "scientific" data. I explored this area with an eye towards using an interior coating to adjust the internal diameter of the exhaust pipe. The performance of an exhaust pipe is based on its internal diameter, not its outside diameter. Adding an internal coating will generally increase the mean port velocity as long as the mean port velocity is already near the target area.

David

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Keeping the gas hotter means different fluid properties, i.e. viscous drag, speed of sound etc. .. so your 'tuned' exhaust system changes - maybe for better, maybe not. Don't think it would make any difference to a road going Vincent.

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
I have just purchased a set of stainless steel pipes for my Shadow. I read somewhere that you can coat the inside of s/s pipes to prevent staining and colouration due to weak/rich mixture. Has anyone had any experience with this process?
Hi Alyn, I coated the inside of the pipes on the B and have had no problems, the company is local in Melbourne.

Chris

Albervin

VOC Member
The details I have received indicate that coating S/S pipes is a bit fraught and not entirely satisfactory . Coating chromed mild steel pipes can be very beneficial. In the end I suppose the "look" and the use of the bike are not really complementary. To get a perfect fuel mixture on both cylinders is a dark art and the front exhaust has a very poor air flow for cooling. So I am going with the flow and just ride the bike. The problem here in Australia is finding pipes that fit and in the format you want without taking out a mortgage on the house. It is totally pointless buying pipes from the UK unless you have a guarantee that they are quality chrome AND fit with a FREE return postage if neither is true.