Centre stands

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Peter, No, I don't like them sticky out things, I never needed anything like that on the Special, So the Comet should !! be easy. Cheers Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I forget exactly when I fitted a Dave Hills tread down stand, just remember that with my Craven Dolomite panniers fitted (very fitting for the Italian rally) I was finding it a bit of a struggle using the rear stand, whilst working on the Rapide recently I had occasion to use the rear stand again after some considerable years had passed, I am surprised that I can still walk! Thanks Dave, you have saved my vertebra.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I always find I have to psych myself up before I haul a bike onto it's rear stand.........I haven't been thinking about it too much lately.........:(

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
They say you never forget !!, But I have, Last time I did it, I had to have a lay down !!,I guess it's an age thing, + a Duff back, After working on those Minis !!, Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When I am putting a standard "C" on the rear stand, When it is already on my wooden fixed work bench, I wheel the rear wheel on a bit of 2 by 4", I find I have to turn the wheel by hand !!, Else it skids off !!, Then the big lift is already done, I do it on my own, But it would be better if you found a friend. Cheers Bill.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
My twin has a centre stand but it's still an effort to get it on, I have to stand on the pedal bit and heave the rear of the seat up and I weigh 19 stone !!
Others say their's is no effort at all ?

greg brillus

VOC Member
I went to lift my Comet on its rear stand years ago, and half way through the lift the stand slipped out and the bugger fell away from me landing on its right side, damaging the footrest and gear lever........:mad:. Afterwards I realized to keep my foot against the rear stand so it can't slip away, and once committed to the lift, you must follow through and let it ease nicely as the stand pivots back. I'm not a big person, but the technique works ok for me. Nice to have one of my sons or the wife to steady the bars if they are around though.........:rolleyes:.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
My twin has a centre stand but it's still an effort to get it on, I have to stand on the pedal bit and heave the rear of the seat up and I weigh 19 stone !!
Others say their's is no effort at all ?
Sounds to me like your legs are too long, not your legs you understand, the centre stand stand legs, the ideal is to have the rear wheel just above the ground when at rest and on the stand, no more than half an inch is required, the longer the legs the harder it gets.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
With 19" wheels I actually had to lengthen my centre stand's legs and treading on the foot piece is often all that is needed to get the bike on the stand, depending on the slope of the ground front to rear. I weigh 12 stone.