Cat's eye headlight?

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Comet's got a 6 1/2" cat's eye headlight, or at least that's what the seller called it. It's a domed glass lens (looks old) and the pattern in it looks like a cat's eye with a pointed elipse in the centre.

a. Is this a Vincent fitting?

b. If it is, how am I supposed to see where I'm going at night???

The light thrown out (ha ha) is a circular pattern with no light in the middle (dip and main). Is this as it should be, or as I suspect, should it have a special bulb - the one I've fitted is a 12 volt 50/40 watt for old car headlamps - I couldn't find a halogen one that would fit.

H

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Rob, I'll try it. Riding through country lanes with the other one was like travelling through the time tunnel - I thought I might come out in 1950 ................. mind you I don't know how I'd tell, I think Stoke stopped in 1948. H

vibrac

VOC Member
If you want to ride in 1950
just take a ride round south island NZ
even the cafe in the towns on the way have home made cakes

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Rob and Howard,

What you are looking for is the headlight from a Honda 250/400 Superdream, this will take a modern H4 bulb fitment thus allowing for Halogen or even HID.

You ca get a pattern unit from the likes of M&P

Best of luck
Neil

Howard

VOC Member
Have you tried here for a suitable halogen bulb http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/ /QUOTE] Yes, may be me being thick, but I couldn't see one. I've fitted a Wipac lens (found in my stock of bits) with the 50/40 bulb that looks much better (in the garage, it was far too windy last night for a road test). I'm not expecting to use the Comet after dark very often, so, to be fair, I didn't look very hard for a bulb. My main query was about the cat's eye lens. H

Len Matthews

VOC Member
In conversation once with a chap who, hitherto, had only owned veteran machines with acetylene lamps he said "I bought the Comet because I thought it was high time I had a bike with electric lights". Well, I suppose that eliminated the problem of finding a supply of carbide- (the other necessary chemical being readily avaible) but would after- dark riding be any better?

vibrac

VOC Member
Carbide-find a good pot holer supply shop
never fails now I have replaced my Lucas
(only joking)