Catastrophic camshaft and follower failure - any ideas?

deejay499

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Stuart. If you make the Annual, I will gladly buy your BBQ for all the interest and problems that you have had and solved. I have always read them, thanks.
Dave

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
stinkwheels

To be honest the vin wins! The rg will be on evil-bay by the end of the week-it's too much fun! Regards Roy.

indianken

Non-VOC Member
1929 scott tt

Ring dings are fine for dirt bikes but too compromised otherwise. Narrow power bands , burning their own lubricant , high fuel consumption and emissions , limited engine life and they sound rubbish !!

"WELL"!!!

Mine has a nice wide power band and burns less oil than some Vincents I know of.

Emissions were unheard of when she was new, (except the nocturnal ones), and she makes a very nice "Youl" on the pipe thank you.!! And still going well at 80 years young.

I rest my case, you Bloody 4 stroker# you.
(Tongue firmly in cheek) ;)

Cheers,
Ken Smith
(Had her out today. Still a joy to ride!)

NR9I1400600x400.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
Greg Brillus

Hi ther, a couple of thoughts that come to mind. I have just fitted two new mk 3 cams to a fellow club members Rapide engine. Being here in Australia, the cams are from Terry Prince, and their specs differ slightly from std mk 3's only in slightly more lift and also in duration for a bit of extra torque. I found the lift messured at the tappet adjusters on the inlets to be no more than 0.330", so i dont see the small increase in lift being a problem. However if the cam and follower materials are different i believe that can cause an issue, and also, i have found the oilways through the new components need to be checked by passing the correct drill sizes through them as Big Sid correctly advises. I found the holes in the cam lobes passing through to the bushes dont always align so well. Anyway good luck, i'm sure you will get it sorted... cheers.. Greg.