Castrol 'R"

RSK1342

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Apart from using genuine Castrol R , how can I get my Rapide to smell of burnt "R"? I have tried Castor oil from the Chemist/Grocery store in both the petrol and oil tank, but nary a whiff of the good stuff. Alchemists potions, hopefully plausible, eagerly administered and results published.

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The nice smelly stuff

Apart from using genuine Castrol R , how can I get my Rapide to smell of burnt "R"? I have tried Castor oil from the Chemist/Grocery store in both the petrol and oil tank, but nary a whiff of the good stuff. Alchemists potions, hopefully plausible, eagerly administered and results published.

If you can find a seller of Shell oils, they do a Castrol R alternative that will mix with petrol:D By putting approx 5cc per gallon it will leave a lovely trail for others to follow:rolleyes: as wellas acting as an upper cylinder lubricant.

We used to use this on our 1922 Raleigh which has a total loss hand pump oil system (a drop of oil every second or so;))

Neil

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
Shell Advance Racing M

Castor Oil Based racing oil

Advance Racing M is a castor oil based racing oil with synthetic components. It has been developed especially for 2 stroke karts. It gives ultimate engine protection while improving the acceleration and power output. Advance Racing M is a race proven technology (kart sport world championship). It is also recommended for 4 stroke speedway motorcycles and other engines burning alcohol.

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
Ah yes! A capful of R in the petrol! Bliss! However, do remember always to pick up your motorcycle and shake it vigorously before turning on the petrol tap(s) and firing up the motor, otherwise the castor oil can cause farting and banging on the overrun due to the tendency of little globules of the stuff to block the pilot jets of 276's, 289's and their Monobloc equivalents. Alternatively, you can remove the petrol tank and shake it all about, although you might have to risk breaking speed limits to catch your friends up afterwards. However, they will at least be able to follow you once you have blown them off on your HRD, still the fastest motorcycle in the world beside other period machines, and disappeared over the horizon...

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Shaking the tank

Cripes! Now I'm going to have to eat five Shredded Wheat at breakfast if I'm to shake the tank on my outfit, darnit.
ET43:)

Prosper Keating

Non-VOC Member
110 pints of Guinness a day should give you all the iron you need to lift your outfit up and give it a good shaking. Remember, Guinness is a meal in a glass.

castrol-r30.jpg

In one of my workshops in London in the past, I had a paraffin heater on which I used to place a tiny little saucepan containing R, whichg slowly infused the air along with the odour of burnt paraffin. Paraffin heaters are not to be found in Paris, so it would seem.

I also ran my café racer MZ on it quite successfully. Some of you will remember that machine from a Liphook meet around sixteen or seventeen years ago. It was an ex-Burwins racer. I had a burn up back to The Smoke along with A3 with John Wright - still sorely missed - on the Montlhéry Shadow now owned by Arthur Farrow. I hadn't a speedo, just a rev counter (that didn't work, of course), and JW pulled alongside me near Ripley and pointed at his clock, showing just over a ton, before pulling gently away. It ran very well indeed on R. Glorious smell!

Used to run the Norton Inter below on R too. Remember the days when this was how we parked our bikes? Stuffed into the front "garden" with a length of battleship chain and wiped over with oily rags to keep the English weather at bay.

On chilly mornings, the old trick of heating the R over the stove in a saucepan was a good plan, otherwise it took almost as long to nurse it up to running temperature as a Vincent-HRD twin, which wasn't practical for London. I never had constipation...

Mind you, this Inter wasn't suitable as a ride-to-work nail in the colder seasons as it had no lights fitted. I suppose one could run a Vincent-HRD on R without too much hassle but given the good quality of modern multigrades by firms like Silkolene, why bother? The spoonful in the fuel achieves the desired olfactory effect...

PK

Attachments

• DSC01214.jpg
    DSC01214.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 62