Carriage Returns!

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Some time back when Using Microsoft Internet Explorer, all of a sudden I was unable to "enter" carriage returns into my postings on this forum.

So I switched to Firefox and the problem was solved - until today when inexplicably with Firefox I was again unable to put carriage returns into my posts

So today I installed Google Crome and surprise. Using chrome I am again able to insert carriage returns.

WTF! Does anyone know whats going on here? Am I the only one with these issues?

A Perplexed Martyn

Williegunn

Non-VOC Member
Sounds as if oil is getting past the primary seal onto your keyboard. I think there might have been an article about this in MPH a few years ago.
I have a Mac they are much superior!

M

davidd

VOC Member
As this happened to me in January, I mentioned earlier that I had switched to Opera to cure the problem. I suspect based on your experience that it is a problem with the VOC site in combination with various browsers. It happened to me when I got a new computer. It was supplied with the latest IE (Internet Explorer.) It would not do returns on the VOC site, but was fine on all others. I installed Opera and use it only for the VOC site. On my old computer I had an earlier version of IE which worked fine on the VOC site. One day, without thinking, I updated IE and it no longer worked on the VOC site only. So, I downloaded Opera and it has worked ever since. Yesterday I tested out IE again on the VOC site and it still does not do returns.

I suspect that many members have not updated their browsers. It would be interesting to know if anyone who has updated IE recently has had any issues. I also suspect the Martyn's browser was updated in a way that triggered the problem for a second time. As far as I can tell, Martyn and I are the only ones who have had the issue. However, if your return key stops working and you resist writing in the "stream of consciousness" format, you will have to change browsers to comply with the more basic rules of grammar.

David

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I suspect based on your experience that it is a problem with the VOC site in combination with various browsers.
I have/had this same problem in IE, but the solution that works for me is hit either 'Reply' or 'Reply With Quote," as you wish, but then use the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom right of the empty box that has opened for you to type your reply. Once in the Advanced mode, click on the button at the upper left, just below the Title. The button looks like A/A. That switches the editor from WYSIWYG to Source Mode, and carriage returns will work for you. Or, at least, they work for me.

note: I already had switched to Source Mode when I originally typed the above, but now have modified the text to make the correct distinction between Source Mode and WYSIWYG. It's not important to know what mode you're in, just that you either are getting carriage returns (Source) or not (WYS..). The A/A button toggles between the two.

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
Thank you! It is nice to know the solution, but I am still surprised that it is necessary. I never would have come up with it.

David