Misc: Carburettors Carburettors

hrdtwin49

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi to you all
I`m a owner of a series C Rapide and the restoring is nearly ready. Which carbs do you think I should fit. Its a standard Rapide with 7.3 compression and standard Mk I cams. I have no carbs and no inlet manifolds. Any suggestions??
Thank you for your help.
Jens

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If you want originality then get in touch with the VOC Spares Company who can supply original type carburettors and manifolds.
A cheaper non-original option is to fit Mikuni carbs that are quite well made and work well. (I have 28mm VM Mikuni's on my Rapide that also has 7.3 compression and standard Mk I cam.) You can also fit Amal Monobloc, Amal Mk1 Concentric or Amal Mk 2 Concentric. There are people on list who can help with your jetting choice on these carburettors.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Hi, my rapide runs + starts real good on mk 2 concentrics, the k+n filters may not look good to everyone, but are much better for the bores and valve seats. Burlen fuel sell them woth the money.

hrdtwin49

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, many thanks for your answers. The original carb looks very nice, but is very expensive too. On Mikuni I found they have the adjuster screws on opposit sides, and it may be very complicate to adjust them. The same is at the Monoblocs. Did the 28mm gives more power than the standard size? What is the different between Mk 1 and Mk 2 concentrics?
Thank you in advance
Jens

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Depending on where you buy your Mikuni carb's you can specify RH or LH adjusters to make things easier.

Try contacting Steve Doran at www.motocarb.co.uk and I can bring them to Erlangen next month for you if he has stock.

Best regards
Neil