Misc: Carburettors Carburettor Resleeving

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A few years ago, Graham Jameson (a VOC member) in Auckland, New Zealand was doing re-sleeves. He may still be doing this. I recall he had found a plastic material which is petrol-resistant.
Paul

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Presume original carbs. Resleeving fixes the problem of the slide/body wear but does nothing for the slide/jet block interface. Pull the sides out and you will likely see a lot of wear in the "slits" up both sides of the slide and on the part of the jet block that it rides on.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Resleeving fixes the problem of the slide/body wear but does nothing for the slide/jet block interface. Pull the sides out and you will likely see a lot of wear in the "slits" up both sides of the slide and on the part of the jet block that it rides on.
A pre-Monobloc would require variations, but in several posts starting at the following I describe a better way to resleeve a carburetor.

The cheap and easy way to resleave a carburetor is to bore the carburetor and shrink a sleeve on the slide. However, if/when that slide or bore subsequently wears, or if you ever want to change the cutaway, you face a significant problem since the sleeved slide is "special" and so is not interchangeable with any other one. Instead, if you sleeve the bore as described in those posts, the carburetor is back to stock configuration.

Before anyone jumps in to say I should have just used a replacement carburetor, I'm trying to restore that particular motorcycle to as close to 100% factory-original condition as is possible, and the numbers stamped on its carburetor are unique to that small=production machine. I realize there's a strong contingent here that believe matching numbers are irrelevant, but I desire having matching numbers on this bike, and you can't argue with a desire.

flygiro

New Forum User
VOC Member
Presume original carbs. Resleeving fixes the problem of the slide/body wear but does nothing for the slide/jet block interface. Pull the sides out and you will likely see a lot of wear in the "slits" up both sides of the slide and on the part of the jet block that it rides on.
How do I fix the problem then, they are original carbs as is the bike, it will not tickover or pickup pickup from low revs. I am back home in UK as is the bike.