Carburettor choices

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My L/ning was also parked near Harvey's, At the other end of the field,
I remember looking back from the main event, And thinking that's a long way, And I haven't locked it !!
Lucky I went home before dark.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Roslyn dear, it certainly was and not even a trace of it since jet David Bowen did give me a name in Reading of a nasty bit of work when I met him in 2018 NZ rally on his 85th birthday.
SAMMY & HARVEY SIX HOURS BEFORE IT WAS STOLEN, NEXT DAY THE CAMPSITE WAS CLEARED BY 10:30 AND PETER APPLETON HAD A LOOK ON HIS FACE AS IF HE WAS THE CAUSE OF IT ALL ON HIS FIRST ANNUAL RALLY. BUT SINCE THEN BROTHER HAS BOUGHT ANOTHER SEVEN VINCENTS BESIDES ALL THE OTHERS HE HAS. I THINK ONLY BECAUSE I'M SO CONTENTED WITH MINE.

P1030560.jpg

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
my dad told me about Harvey bike being stolen at the time think it made him more concerned about the risk he took when he went any where with the Vincent after that.

Hicam

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I put some of my starting problems down to this fuel you cannot really called petrol any more as it more like chemical soup now.
I agree, and leaving it in the float chambers over winter leaves corrosive deposits and fuel with no volatiles left in it.
Moving my starting problems on a bit, a friend helped me accurately time the mag at 38/9 advance btdc with atd held at full advance yesterday. I had stripped and rebuilt the carbs and set the pilot jets at just over one turn off their seats. Unfortunately, the front carb float flooded and I had to re-seat the needle valve, so the front cylinder was wet. It eventually fired up and ticked over well. I rode it down the road and back ok. We stopped the engine and tried to restart it warm, it wouldn't start.
I think the capacitor in the mag windings is failing. It now starts cold but not hot.
Chris

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I agree, and leaving it in the float chambers over winter leaves corrosive deposits and fuel with no volatiles left in it.
Moving my starting problems on a bit, a friend helped me accurately time the mag at 38/9 advance btdc with atd held at full advance yesterday. I had stripped and rebuilt the carbs and set the pilot jets at just over one turn off their seats. Unfortunately, the front carb float flooded and I had to re-seat the needle valve, so the front cylinder was wet. It eventually fired up and ticked over well. I rode it down the road and back ok. We stopped the engine and tried to restart it warm, it wouldn't start.
I think the capacitor in the mag windings is failing. It now starts cold but not hot.
Chris
storing the bikes up for a while i put two stoke oil in the petrol tank then run the engine to get in the carbs to try and stop any corrosive deposits over lay up times all year around

vibrac

VOC Member
It's down to the shops to buy parafin this autumn drain the carbs and tanks. A pint of parafin in the tank a modern (20 years) trail bike is taxed for the winter for fine days to use up the crap petrol. parafin in the parts cleaner in the spring
NB must get a petrol car next time

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Marcus, Nice photograph of Sammy and Harvey, but even nicer is the bike that is framed between them, I shudder to think if that had gone AWOL, irreplaceable, and now 55 years of ownership and still going strong.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
It's down to the shops to buy parafin this autumn drain the carbs and tanks. A pint of parafin in the tank a modern (20 years) trail bike is taxed for the winter for fine days to use up the crap petrol. parafin in the parts cleaner in the spring
NB must get a petrol car next time
Paraffin 99p A litre at the pump in portway garage Frome cheaper to by the litre if you buy a 40 gallon drum of it