Carburettor choices

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My Rapide isn't the easiest to start but 3 kicks when cold is about normal...I have only been successful once when using the decompressor and I envy all who have mastered that technique. Any tips?
PS My bike loves it's chokes to start and run for about 2-3 minutes when cold. When hot it likes the chokes just to start, not needed to run

Watch the video in post #30 by Glenliman. If you click the settings "cog" at the bottom of the video window you can set the playback speed to 0.25. You can see how Glen co-ordinates the kick and decompressor lever release near the bottom of the kickstart swing.
Re chokes needed: Sounds as if you might have a too weak setting somewhere. (Pilot setting?) Or maybe you live in a very cold place.;)

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I'm sorry but I've never been able to master the use of the valve lifter, it also seems a very awkward position, I have trouble reaching it and trying to use the kickstart at the same time unless I'm astride the bike, which if on the centre stand I can't reach the ground (I only have a 28" inside leg). In 15 years I've just had to replace the bush in the ratchet mechanism once and the engine is quite worn I suspect as it turns over easily.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I'm sorry but I've never been able to master the use of the valve lifter, it also seems a very awkward position, I have trouble reaching it and trying to use the kickstart at the same time unless I'm astride the bike, which if on the centre stand I can't reach the ground (I only have a 28" inside leg). In 15 years I've just had to replace the bush in the ratchet mechanism once and the engine is quite worn I suspect as it turns over easily.
I also have a pre war triumph that has a valve lifter to start it and stop the engine no problems

timetraveller

VOC Member
I too am somewhat vertically challenged but my technique, with a Dave Hill centre stand is to stand on the clutch side footrest, astride the bike. This gives me plenty of height to push down on the kick starter lever. I had the first, or one of the first, stainless steel versions of the centre stand and Dave asked me to start the bike in the above way to test out the strength of the stand. It has never been a problem. The alternative is a high kerb to stand on but one cannot guarantee the availability.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My Rapide isn't the easiest to start but 3 kicks when cold is about normal...I have only been successful once when using the decompressor and I envy all who have mastered that technique. Any tips?
PS My bike loves it's chokes to start and run for about 2-3 minutes when cold. When hot it likes the chokes just to start, not needed to run
Bob, You must be hanging on to the lever a nats too long ?.

vibrac

VOC Member
I think on a single the valve lifter is just a way of getting past compression I just have a smaill trigger lever to do that on both comets . on my 35 Cammy Velo you could not kick it without getting over the hump. I think the gear change lever is longer than the kick start

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I too am somewhat vertically challenged but my technique, with a Dave Hill centre stand is to stand on the clutch side footrest, astride the bike. This gives me plenty of height to push down on the kick starter lever. I had the first, or one of the first, stainless steel versions of the centre stand and Dave asked me to start the bike in the above way to test out the strength of the stand. It has never been a problem. The alternative is a high kerb to stand on but one cannot guarantee the availability.
I have longer than standard hangers that are angled forward 45 degrees to move my feet forward and I am reluctant to stand on them, I shall just have to practice. There again I have installed a pair of the chainsaw decompressors so I should use them.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I had to when racing in the 70s and 80s, I was not the best and could never do it side saddle,
I don't have good balance !.

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
it is one of those thigs best left to younger fitter riders but I still can do it on rigid triumph as it much lower down and a bit lighter then a vincent twin.