Carburetter

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just purchased a 276 suitable for early B Rapides, a 276CJ/1DO. Does anybody out there know when they were superseded by the later unit? I intended to fit it to my B but now wonder whether mine is too late as it is just beyond 1000. If it is not correct for mine then maybe someone has a greater need. I will make a decision after I hear from those who know.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Alyn, How come only one carb and not both? are you lucky enough to have a Rapide that runs on one carb only......I thought early Rapides had the mixture and idle stop screw on the inside of the front carb and outside on the rear...handy if you have fingers made with an asbestos covering. I've also seen some early Rapide carb's with the correct numbers on them where the bodies are made of brass/bronze as per how Shadow front 229E/1DV Carb's are made of. I removed a pair of those brass ones off of a friend's 48 B rap and fitted a pair of new ones from Burlen's in the U.K. His old carb's had home made slides made from aluminium...!!! Starts and ticks over so much better now.....cheers....Greg.

Albervin

VOC Member
Greg, yes it is a ridgy didge front carby that requires bifurcated fingers to adjust the mixture and idle stop. Monkey metal not bronze. I have never trusted Amal lore, bronze, brass, monkey metal...? The numbers stamped on the carb appear to be same script as other early carbs I have so I have no doubt it is real.