Misc: Everything Else Series 'D' Carbs.

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, My enclosed 'D' engine has just been totally rebuilt and the original carbs need replacing. Is there any reason to change from the 1and1/16" Monoblocs ? Also any suggestions for Air Filters ? Thanks.

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In my opinion No nothing wrong with monoblocks on E5. If I had to go modern I would side step the concentric stuff and go for Mikunis but any change hits the installation problem. So I say stick to original (you don't hear me say that too often do you!) Have you tried the VOCSC foam air filters? I guess you have room for those

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
In my opinion No nothing wrong with monoblocks on E5. If I had to go modern I would side step the concentric stuff and go for Mikunis but any change hits the installation problem. So I say stick to original (you don't hear me say that too often do you!) Have you tried the VOCSC foam air filters? I guess you have room for those
Thanks for that - my conclusion also but very good to get another opinion. I'll buy a pair and get them mounted and check available space for filters.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
My D Rapide came with 1 1/8 Monoblocs. I replaced them a few years ago with new ones of Burlen origin. The manifolds must have been previously carved out to match, so no problems there. The new ones are just fine for me. The bike starts well, idles well. I have no idea if the bike is faster. It's probably not.

MikeC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
My D Rapide came with 1 1/8 Monoblocs. I replaced them a few years ago with new ones of Burlen origin. The manifolds must have been previously carved out to match, so no problems there. The new ones are just fine for me. The bike starts well, idles well. I have no idea if the bike is faster. It's probably not.
Thanks Gary - sounds good. I checked Burlen yesterday for the 376 - no stock at the moment. I have asked the Club if they can supply.

vibrac

VOC Member
Try Surrey Cycles
He is a very knowledgeable guy he may well have stock
He sourced us a pair of 1-1/4 GP Mk2 carbs and they are like unicorns horns