Carbon Fibre Parts

champion

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bruce & Chris,
I don't want to change the subject of this conversation off brake drums, so am happy to contribute more details and photos if someone wants to start a new conversation on building a light weight Vincent.

The main reason I started making bits out of carbon fiber was because it was cheaper than buying them!!!
As many of you will know I have started making several comet components from pre-preg carbon kevlar.
> Primary chain case outer
> Brake drum water excludes
> Mag cowl

Also on my list of bits to attempt for my comet are:
> Rear brake torque stays
> Head lamp
> Seat assembly (including tool tray)
> Various engine plates
> Number plate

Have been considering more complex parts such as timing cover, but need to work out how to incorporate oil lines.
Front fork blades are the perfect part to make from carbon fiber as they would weigh less than half the standard weight and cost about the same....
I don't want my bike to look like some boy racer has covered it in carbon fiber effect vinyl, so am looking at methods of chroming or painting the components I make, problem is that a coat of paint doubles the weight....

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I would be interested in seeing what you make/have made. As for the timing cover, perhaps laminate in copper/steel/aluminum pieces that are located with the mold by locators. If you look a series B timing cover it has the appearance of pipes just below the surface. A series C cover looks like they're just below the surface as well, but just on the inside. Personally I think a timing cover with windows to look as the timing gear spinning around would be an excellent option. Keep posting as you make progress please.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
I believe the Works made a clear cover, but the oil made it opaque.
Yes I think that a few tried a mag cover in perspex in the sixties when wanting to watch the newly created nylon ATD gears go round. The window went black with oil after a few revs

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Maybe not the fork blades ??, I think the " Britten " had a set, And they broke !!, Saw it on a youtube years ago ?. Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Carbon fibre disc brakes are not just carbon fibre and resin. They are what is called 'carbon in carbon' in which one set of carbon fibre is made from the precursor material and then that is mixed with more of the precursor material and then that mixture, in a mould, is heated again to make more carbon fibre in which the original batch is now embedded, hence the 'carbon in carbon'. Also carbon fibre used as a brake material is not straight forwards. I once had a discussion with one of the manufacturers of brakes for both Formula 1 cars and 737 jets. He told me that one emergency stop on the runway at, say, 30 mph did more damage to the discs than a landing at about 200 mph. Be warned, it will require some homework before carbon fibre drum brakes can be made.

champion

VOC Member
Sorry it has taken so long to reply, my week suddenly got busy due to having a vincent comet being built, an old norton being stripped down, a full time job a girlfriend and all the other distractions of life.

So I was considering starting a conversation called "Building a Lightweight Vincent" (Originally was gonna call it Lightning a Vincent, but that would have been a very misleading title for obvious reasons....)

Like other conversations I have started recently, it would really be the opportunity to open up a forum for discussion for making lightweight Vincent components, rather than a monolog about what I have been making. As I am sure most of you will know, carbon fibre is not always the best choice of material.

I am always interested in removing weight as it improves acceleration, handling and fuel efficiency. Making the bike more practical for either racing use or touring.

As mentioned at the top of the page, the main reason I started making bits out of carbon fiber was because it was cheaper than buying them!
As many of you will know I have started making several comet components from pre-preg carbon / kevlar.
13467506_10154558890073455_1693970097_o.jpg
13474288_10154558889998455_1660887829_n.jpg
13479296_10154558889983455_185970654_n.jpg
13479848_10154558889988455_1440710926_n.jpg

> Primary chaincase outer
> Brake drum water excludes
> Mag cowl

Also on my list of bits to attempt for my comet are:
> Rear brake torque stays
> Head lamp
> Seat assembly (including tool tray)
> Various engine plates
> Number plate

The seat is coming on slowly, the first tool tray mould I made collapsed, however I have now made a mould for the seat base, the L section strips and the curved inner mud guard. I hope to have this complete in about a month.

Have been considering more complex parts such as timing cover, but need to work out how to incorporate oil lines.
Front fork blades are the perfect part to make from carbon fiber as they would weigh less than half the standard weight and cost about the same....
I don't want my bike to look like some boy racer has covered it in carbon fiber effect vinyl, so am looking at methods of chroming or painting the components I make, problem is that a coat of paint doubles the weight....

I am aware that many racers have already put their bikes through strict weight loss programs and would love to hear more about ways of taking metal out of the important parts like cranks, rods and gearboxes....

Last edited by a moderator: