• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Carb Refurb

Rob H

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I am renewing the jets an slides on my 289 shadow carbs but also want to refurbish the bodies at the same time.

Whats the common practise nowadays to do this, is it blasting then painting or some sort of coating or leave bare?

regs
Rob

Black Flash

VOC Member
hello John,
you ust be in a very good situation if you can afford a Vincent and still have the money to buy jewellery for your wife! ;-)
just bought some Girdraulic parts, so no jewellery for my wife!
I hav an ultrasonic cleaner which my wife owned before I knew her..... makes me think.
Bernd

mercurycrest

VOC Member
hello John,
you ust be in a very good situation if you can afford a Vincent and still have the money to buy jewellery for your wife! ;-)
just bought some Girdraulic parts, so no jewellery for my wife!
I hav an ultrasonic cleaner which my wife owned before I knew her..... makes me think.
Bernd

............and I have a Vincent, which my wife owned before I knew her!:p
Cheers, John

christulin

Active Website User
Non-VOC Member
I picked up a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner. After some online searches and experimentation with some less valuable parts, I found that 2 or 3 runs with household vinegar works well without any apparent harm to the pot metal plus removes the rust. Rinse in water, and blow out the passages. Now I smell of vinegar instead of carb cleaner. I have heard citric acid in distilled water works well for cleaning carbs and oxalic acid works well for removing rust.
Thanks for the suggestion.
T100 Toymakers in Connecticut has an Optisonics cleaner that is large enough to do engine parts. It removes the oil from porous castings. Greg can be reached at t100toymakers@triumphmotors.com

christulin

Active Website User
Non-VOC Member
beadblasting carbs

Beadblasting carbs or motor parts can embed dust in the castings that may slowly find its way into the engine and it removes the finish. I have a beadblasting cabinet but will probably opt for ultrasonic cleaning in the future. Safer for the parts, safer for us than old school solvents and dusts.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?