Carb paint

Vinthou

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just painted a set of Amal Standards using the paint described in MPH #731 in Carl Hungness excellent article on mods. This is the Eastwoods Carb renew silver # 10187z.

Has anyone else used this paint? My carbs came out more grey than silver, and nothing like any of three NOS float chamber caps that I have - incidentaly all different - ranging from a fairly bright silver, through silver grey to a colour with a slight brown tint that I have seen on Norton 276 carbs.

Any comments or words of advice? Besides "live with it" which I will likely do!!

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I used the "Eastwood system", although got the advice from Bev Bowen. I used it on a 276 carb on another bike (not a Vin), and it looked really good. It however had the carb body, float body and float top all in zinc alloy, whereas my rear 376 vin carb has a zinc bodies and an aluminium floatbowl cap, and the front a plated brass body and alloy cap. There's no sign that the rear carb ever had any kind of finish on it except cad on the bottom nut, and since it doesn't clash with the rest of the bike, I've left it alone.
Silkolene make a product called "Carb cleaner" and boy, is it effective. Not squirt and brush, just squirt.