Cancelled - Sunbeam Club: Pioneer Run

Cancelled - Sunbeam Club: Pioneer Run
Posted by Graham Smith
The Plough Inn, Leechpond Hill, Lower Beeding RH13 6LT.
Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 09:00 AM
Until: Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 03:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
G

Graham Smith

Info: Dick Sherwin.
Tel: 01403 891 615.

22nd March 2020. CANCELLED.

pioneer_run.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rapcom

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gentlemen, You now have two weeks to awaken your slumbering beasts and prepare them for the first general gathering of the year, to watch the annual pilgrimage of the Pioneers from Epsom to Brighton. The run is for machines made prior to 1915, so of the 300+ entrants, the youngest will be 105 years old. Nowhere else in the world can you see such a collection of veteran machines. For reasons of road safety, and the difficulty of riding gearless, clutchless, and almost brakeless machines in congested traffic, the finish this year will be at Brighton City Airport (locally known as Shoreham Airport). The route goes from Epsom, Reigate, Gatwick, A23, Handcross, Lower Beeding, Cowfold, Henfield, Small Dole, and Shoreham.
Our gathering will take place on the route at The Plough pub RH13 6LT, which is at Lower Beeding at the junction of the B2110 and the B2115.
The landlord is a classic bike enthusiast, and holds a bike-only day for this event. Cars will not be admitted, and must be parked elsewhere (considerately please). He supplies tea, coffee, bacon rolls, hot dogs, and pub fare, and will be opening from about 0830. The first Pioneers leave Epsom at 0800, so the faster ones start passing the Plough about 0900, with the slower, wheezier ones plodding by several hours later. I recommend arriving at The Plough as early as possible, as it is a popular meeting place and can become congested. Prayers have been said for sunshine.
See the Forum calendar for further details.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
........ For reasons of road safety, and the difficulty of riding gearless, clutchless, and almost brakeless machines in congested traffic, the finish this year will be at Brighton City Airport (locally known as Shoreham Airport). The route goes from Epsom, Reigate, Gatwick, A23, Handcross, Lower Beeding, Cowfold, Henfield, Small Dole, and Shoreham.
I am glad to see the finish has been moved away from Brighton seafront. A few years ago my brother was loaned a belt driver for this event. I followed him where safe on my bike as a backup. When we got into the general traffic in Brighton there were bikes going anywhere they could to avoid having to come to a halt and stuck on a belt driver in traffic. I saw some going over lights on red, the wrong side of traffic lights and up on to the pavements, luckily avoiding spectators. I thought that it is only a matter of time before a rider or member of the public is seriously hurt or worse.:eek:
I've done some daft things on bikes but when I was offered the loan of the same bike for the following year I politely declined.
It is a great event and spectacle nevertheless. We are lucky to live in a country where we are still allowed to use our very old machines on the road.:cool:

Chris.R

VOC Member
Hi I have never been before and intend to go this year I will unfortunately be in a fug box as the Comet is still on a work stand in the garage about 70% complete.

G

Graham Smith

Published 9th March 2020:

As at 9th March it is the Sunbeam Club's intention that the run will go ahead as planned. However, we will follow government advice concerning public gatherings. Our finish venue Brighton City Airport are also concerned about the situation but have agreed to be guided by us.

Both the Airport and the Club are monitoring the situation daily and are in regular contact regarding any practical changes that may become necessary.

Please check the website HERE for news of any necessary change to the above information.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Graham Smith

The Club has just heard that the Sunbeam Club's Pioneer Run has been cancelled.

We assume the Sussex Section's Meet will also be cancelled too.

rapcom

VOC Member
Thank you Graham. Obviously the Sussex Section meet to spectate the Pioneers would be a pointless exercise, particularly for those travelling a long distance. However, I have spoken to the landlord of the Plough, and he intends to still provide bacon rolls, hot dogs, tea, coffee etc. for any motorcyclists who still feel like a Sunday morning ride to a country pub. You can always stand 2 metres apart.....