Canberra, Location Thereof...

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Canberra is not the only Australian city that was built in a dopey place...Melbourne, Sydney are on the list as well..I mean, really. If all of them were closer to Winnipeg then there is a chance that decent Australian plonk would be cheaper to buy..

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
OK - some come join me in Melbourne - just a quick 45 minutes from the nearest Australian winemakers of repute! Errr suggest you do not fly MAS

M

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Errr suggest you do not fly MAS
At the risk of inadvertently upsetting someone for straying this Canberra thread off course, I travel a lot and at least once/year am on a plane from London or Paris to Doha (next will be in Oct.). This route goes across the length of Iraq from N to S at a formerly-safe 33,000 ft. As you might imagine, the thought that ISIS might now have Russian SA-11 missile launchers from the Syrian arsenal has crossed my mind. While the flight from LAX to Sydney/Melbourne feels like it takes forever, at least the route doesn't pass over too many regions where people are actively trying to shoot down airplanes.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
We will be flying Winnipeg-Heathrow and Stanstead-Tours in the very near future ...poorly trained nutters on the ground with weapons are not, Thank God, an issue for us either.
Flying over Australia has its own unique set of "issues", as if one should be lucky enough to have a parachute and survive that ordeal then you will quickly discover that the inhabitants are mostly descended from criminals and are prone to drinking Fosters, BBQ'ing shrimp and greeting each other heartily!

carlm

Non-VOC Member
We will be flying Winnipeg-Heathrow and Stanstead-Tours in the very near future ...poorly trained nutters on the ground with weapons are not, Thank God, an issue for us either.
Flying over Australia has its own unique set of "issues", as if one should be lucky enough to have a parachute and survive that ordeal then you will quickly discover that the inhabitants are mostly descended from criminals and are prone to drinking Fosters, BBQ'ing shrimp and greeting each other heartily!

Stanstead?? You'd better watch this:

If it doesn't work, google "Fascinating Aida- Cheap Flights"

good luck

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Hilarious!... We are in fact, despite many warnings, flying RyanAir from Stanstead - Tours...It was, with all of the "additions" still 50% of the cost of the train..and yes, I always carry my insulin etc. with me do that when the airline loses my bag it doesnt cause a situation..

Magnetoman

VOC Member
You'll be sorry
Speaking with limited experience on Ryanair (only one flight, from Dublin to Charleroi), if expectations are appropriately set the odds of being sorry don't seem any higher than on any other airline. First, Business, Coach, Ryan -- all will get you there, but the less you pay the less you will get.

carlm

Non-VOC Member
[QUOTE="Magnetoman, post: 54860- all will get you there, but the less you pay the less you will get.[/QUOTE]
Dunno if that's always true. Air North is consistently competitive if not cheaper than Air Crabass. AND you get fed! Wizjet is the carrier of choice when I'm outside, but out of Whitehorse they're just a feckin cherry picker. Only here for the summer, and only to syphon off local business.
My other consideration is the aircraft type. I'm only 5' 3" but I still manage to bump my damn head on DeHaviland or Canadair.