Can Norton make its marque again?

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If someone is successful at resurrecting the old name, it would be great to see this model reproduced in modern materials:
http://tinyurl.com/6xsd2z

Norton never really fully capitalized on how good the 650SS was, both in racing and as a production machine. Part of the problem may have been the limiting effect of assembling the bikes in Doug Hele's race shop.

I thoroughly enjoy my Vincent twins and my Norton 850 MK111Interstate, but this 650SS feels like it could run circles around any of them. Light, quick and great looking, I think it could sell.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I dunno except that a lot of Vin owners seem to have an old Norton or two kicking around. The thread was well underway when I found it so I added my two pence. I even managed to mention the mighty Vincent in my post.

I'm getting a sense of where the mad part of Vinmad comes from!:)

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
BTW when I said the 650SS feels like it could run circles aorund the Vincent, that would be for solo riding on b type roads.

For long distances at higher speeds, especially when riding two up plus gear, the Vincent is by far the better bike.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Somewhere around that, although all Norton parallel twins trace back to Bert Hopwood's original 1948 500cc design.
Comparing the Vincent twin to most other bikes from that era does give you an understanding of where some of the Vincent folklore came from.

Climbing off something like a rigid 1948 Matchless G80 and onto a Vincent twin back then would be quite an adjustment in terms of the increased power and comfort.

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Visited Triumph Hinkley last month, most impresive compared with meriden.

Quality control seems very important to them, was not a fan before my visit and am unlikley to buy one.