Can anyone help to identify this combination?

swerveman

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,

The picture is of my wife's late father, Arthur James Playell, who died in 1960. The machine is clearly a Vincent H.R.D. combination, with registration LGH637.

I regret I'm not a motorcycle person, but I'd be very interested to have any extra information about this, such as when it was registered, what kind of sidecar is it, maybe even where the picture was taken?

A bit of a long shot, I know, but I'm keen to get as much information as possible into our family tree on Ancestry.com.

Best Regards,
Merv

Arthur James Playell.jpg

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Merv,
Not a lot to see, but my best guess would be a Blacknell "Sherwood" child/adult sidecar from the very early 1950's.. The "C" Rapide is from that time frame too, but it seems to have the earlier Series "B" type gearshift set up. Maybe, someone with better eyes can confirm that? All in all, it's a top of the line Outfit, He must have been proud of it.
Cheers, John

Last edited:

A_HRD

VOC Member
From my notes taken 30 years ago, this bike as photographed, appears to be a very standard and desirable Vincent Series 'C' Rapide 1,000cc manufactured in Spring 1950. However, I have a pencilled-in note to say it was stolen and broken-up at some time much later - but the parts resurfaced over time and are incorporated in other Vincents still in use to this day.

I could be wrong of course, in which case 'plasticbeer' might chime in and correct me.....

As usual, John is right, I blew-up the photo and it does appear to have a 'B' gear linkage - and some other odd contrivance attached to or running behind the gear indicator. However, that will be an irrelevant detail as far as Merv is concerned. And yes, Mr Playell does indeed look justifiably proud!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

deejay499

VOC Member
What a nice looking outfit. Shame there are not more like it today, especially with the larger chair.

swerveman

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Many thanks, chaps. It's really nice to get such quick and informative comments.

I've just been looking at a picture of a Blacknell Sherwood, and I'd have to say it looks exactly right. My search for "Blacknell Sherwood" also brought up a Vincent Rapide and Blacknell Sherwood road test on ebay, so I've bought that, and look forward to reading it.

My wife vaguely remembers being in the sidecar, but couldn't say whether it was stolen. I think it was probably traded in for their Ford Popular. It's quite nice to think of bits of the outfit still being around and in use.

Cheers,
Merv

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
LGH 637 was sold by the dealer Pride & Clark and registered in London on the 1st April 1950.

We have no record of the bike being stolen; the only part we know to have survived is the RFM.

Could Merv please tell us when Arthur owned the bike and where he lived at the time?

Vince Farrell – VOC Machine Researcher

swerveman

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Vince, thanks for that.

Arthur was usually known as Jim. I recall my mother-in-law telling me that he always bought his vehicles from Pride and Clark. My wife believes that they would have been living in Beckenham at that time. I regret I can't give you too much information, because my wife was only three years old on 1st April 1950, and doesn't have any very clear memories of the outfit. She remembers the Ford Pop more, the registration number including the word MUD. I imagine that came from Pride and Clark also.

Cheers,
Merv