E: Engine Cam thrust washer E95...

Trickymicky

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks.... I’ll add that to the growing list of things to select fit and start with the front exhaust cam and follower.

By refaced, did you get them reground or faced with stellite?
No, they were not too bad so Maughan's just re ground them and checked the surface hardness.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I do recall P.E.I. saying that he designed the cams and followers specifically to ensure that the camshaft thrust was outward. This has been evident on all the many engines I have seen over fifty years. I was, however, too young and ignorant to ask what cunning he employed to achieve this. Perhaps some person like Clevtrev might supply an answer.

davidd

VOC Member
The hardness of the followers and the cams should be around the same: the followers test out at about 60 Rockwell C and the cams should be about 60-65 Rockwell C. Running cams and followers at this specification should replace the need for Stellite.

The followers that the Club sells have been top-notch and I can just install them as is.

David

Bobv07662

VOC Member
Reporting back...I had to leave the extra E95 under the cam in order to get the best follower alignment. All the followers were biased towards the outside. The only complication I had was to pull the rear follower stud out a tad to keep the steady plate straight and away from the cam gear.
Thanks for all your help and observations.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Reporting back...I had to leave the extra E95 under the cam in order to get the best follower alignment. All the followers were biased towards the outside. The only complication I had was to pull the rear follower stud out a tad to keep the steady plate straight and away from the cam gear.
Thanks for all your help and observations.
So if you had to use an E95 under the cams, how did the the alignment between that cam pinions and large idler turn out?
Adding E95 shims under my cams puts them into pretty much perfect alignment with the follower, but.... that puts the cam pinions out by .030“ in relation to the large idler. Moving the large idler out .030 isn’t exactly straight forward and if I do that then I have to move the halftime pinion, breather pinion and mag pinion out as well. Shaving .030“ off the side of the followers seems like a simpler option. I suppose I could shave off .015“ and then find a .015“ shim, bit not sure how much I like the idea of using thin shims in the timing chest. I don’t see the follower pivot being exposed to excessively high loads and all of the followers in the knackered bin don’t seem to show any excessive wear although that’s only a bushel sized sample.
I suppose if some engines lived with narrowed (lightened) pinions, the .030 of misalignment likely isn’t fatal, but can’t say I like that idea.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
I don't think moving the cam pinions out by 0.030" will have any negative effect on the large idler or any other part of the cam drive gear train. Just add the shim behind the cam, checking cam to follower fit with bearing blue.

SteveW

VOC Member
If you already have'nt read Rig Tragles' advise in "Vincent Enginr Tech.
RIP TRAGLE'S TIMING CASE REVIEW by W.I. Tragle