E: Engine Cam thrust washer E95...

Bobv07662

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Getting ready to button up the timing chest. What is the correct order to assemble the cams and steady plate in relation to the shims and washers?. I assembled it this way, first an E95 washer, the cam, another E95 washer, then an ET98/1 washer, then the steady plate and finally the locknut. I ended up with .007" endplay.

Am I good to go?

Cyborg

VOC Member
While it might appear that a thrust washer E95, should go between the cam and the case, normally no... nothing.... Cam goes on first. There is some timing chest info in the link below. Not sure if you are talking Comet or twin, but this may help. Also note Martyn G’s invitation to check out December OVR that discusses the Comet timing chest.

davidd

VOC Member
Bob,

It is a little difficult to tell. There is no E95 under the cam at least, the Factory did not set it up this way. This doesn't mean that your timing chest did not use an E95 under the cam when it was rebuilt.

More importantly, the cam lobes need to align with the followers. If they are in alignment and the cam gear is also in the same plane as the big idler and the other gears, you are fine. The end float is fine.

I usually set up the chest without an E95 under the cam. I only insert one if the cam followers are out of alignment. In such a case I install a shim the same size as the E95, but with a thickness that suits the alignment of the followers. I can also change the cam follower alignment by using shims in place of the washers. So, there is a lot of looking and assessing.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I would have thought with a Twin, Your front cam follower would tell you how it's got to go,
A shim each side of that and the follower has to line up with the cam lobe, Not much you can do with that ,
Unless you are going to start grinding bits off the follower ?,
But there are a lot of Bikes where the follower are not lined up right, They seem to run OK,
There should be NO washer between the Camshaft and C/case,
But it's up to you !.

Bobv07662

VOC Member
Consensus seems that there is no E95 under the cam. I will look under the followers to see if they are shimmed to match. Busby may have tried to move the cams around for some reason.
Thanks guys!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
This is an Old Mechanics problem !, We used to think if we noted how something came apart,
And put it back the same way, We would be right ?, But now we have think harder !!.

I must admit I would have liked a shim there, Would seem a good idea to me,
But I have not seen wear on the case yet.

That front follower fitting is not a nice idea, When I got my box of broken bits for the L/ning rep,
The screw had come undone and destroyed the case,
Dear old Bob Dunn, Spent a lot of time redoing it.
Good Luck, Bill.

Trickymicky

VOC Member
I've just assembled a timing chest, with re faced original followers and was struggling with alignment of them on the front cam. I tried a different follower, and it lined up perfectly. Luckily the remaining ones were ok for the other cam. So it seems that there can be a little variation that you can use in your favour if they are not matched to a particular lobe.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I've just assembled a timing chest, with re faced original followers and was struggling with alignment of them on the front cam. I tried a different follower, and it lined up perfectly. Luckily the remaining ones were ok for the other cam. So it seems that there can be a little variation that you can use in your favour if they are not matched to a particular lobe.
Thanks.... I’ll add that to the growing list of things to select fit and start with the front exhaust cam and follower.

By refaced, did you get them reground or faced with stellite?

Cyborg

VOC Member
But there are a lot of Bikes where the follower are not lined up right, They seem to run OK,

I suppose if the cams and followers are decent and the oil supply is “adequate“, then alignment becomes less of an issue. If the cams and followers were all of good quality, we probably wouldn’t be having this discussion. More likely just a discussion amongst the folks that are blueprinting engine for racing?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think the oil supply was always enough,
We had the same in the Car World years ago They blamed everything but the Cams.
I have only used Gary Robinson Cams for years, Other than the Square Polydine Cams I was given
by a friend, Which are now showing a bit of wear, But I don't go far !.
Shame Gary has stopped now ?, I did get a Cam and Followers for my next Comet, Just in time !.
Gary welded up the oil hole in the followers, Before S/Welding.